Ceeege

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSouth Wales, UK

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Hi everyone!

I'm a British Birder and have visited the US twice now on two excellent trips, firstly to the unbelieveable Magee Marsh last year and this year did the Upper Texas Coast, down to the border, RGV & the Hill Country which was also superb.

I'm a photographer and took far too many images whilst over there and with my limited free time, I'm slowly plodding through the backlog from April. My father and I didn't nail any Dowitcher id's on call while we were there so hoped to pin them down at a later date on forums such as this.

This was taken April 9th at Anahuac NWR Texas, feeding alone in one of the many freshwater pools with mixed shorebirds such as Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs, Least, Spotted & Solitary Sandpipers, Dunlin & Killdeer.

Any id help would be appreciated as would any feedback and mis-identifications on my US site USBirds.Ceeege.Com

Many thanks for your time.

Chris

Attached Files

Chris (UK birder)
USA Life list - 451 in 46 days of American birding (~435 photographed)
UK Life list - 304 in 42 years of British birding (299 photographed)

Chris' American Bird Quiz (400+ species!)

Chris' British Bird Quiz

My American bird photography site or Photos of almost 300 Species of British Birds    Twitter:@CeeegeBirds

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 27 June 2012 - 05:32 PM

Looks like Long-billed, based on the white tips and rufous bars on the wing coverts, the heavy black and white barring on rufous below (especially on the neck and upper breast), and the lack of white on the belly.

#3 Ceeege

Ceeege

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

Thanks psweet. Being colour blind and also only seeing them when I cross the Atlantic makes id a bit difficult!

Chris (UK birder)

Chris' British Bird Quiz

My American bird photography site or Photos of almost 300 Species of British Birds    Twitter:@CeeegeBirds

#4 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:09 PM

Being dowitchers makes them difficult!

#5 Ceeege

Ceeege

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:09 PM

Sorry to bring back this thread but I've dug out another one! Is this a Short-billed? (Has white on the belly, no white on the coverts...)

Attached Files

Chris (UK birder)

Chris' British Bird Quiz

#6 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

I'd agree with Short-billed, but this one's a lot harder than the last. This bird has just begun a molt into alternate plumage - those are the dark feathers with orange bars. The gray on the wings and back is all basic plumage. If you look at the flanks, though, those appear to be new feathers, and they're white with distinct gray barring -- which is typical of the Atlantic subspecies of Short-billed. (L. g. griseus)

#7 Ceeege

Ceeege

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hi again

I'm still struggling with Dowitchers, my poor guide book, and colour perception so here's another batch of Dowitchers to hopefully identify please!

These were all taken in Brownsville TX in April - members of a flock of around 25 birds. I think they are all the same species but which one!!!

Sorry for the mass of pictures. I just want to make sure the id's are correct before posting them on my site!

1)
Posted Image

2)
Posted Image

3)
Posted Image

4)
Posted Image

5)
Posted Image

6)
Posted Image

7)
Posted Image

8)
Posted Image

Many thanks!

Chris.

Chris (UK birder)

Chris' British Bird Quiz

#8 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,160 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

All of the ones with fresh feathering appear to be Long-billed, since the scapulars have narrow rufous bars and distinct white tips. The black and white bars on the undersides also look good for Long-billed, as does the streaking and spotting on the neck of those that actually show fresh feathering there. I'm not going to try the ones that have barely begun to molt, but given that you had them all together they're most likely all the same species. (In fall, I'd point out that the migration schedules differ by quite a bit, but I don't know if that's true in the spring.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users