#1 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:20 PM

It's hot here in GA, well into the 90's. Over the past few days I have seen birds (blue jays, mourning dove and brown thrasher) do something I find odd. In the afternoon heat, they go the hottest part of my yard and lay belly down with their tails and wings spread. They will lay like that for about 10 minutes (long enough for me to think they are dead) and then get up and go about their business. I'm thinking they are cooling off, but why don't they go in the shade? Here is a pic of the blue jay doing this, with another looking on. Thanks for your input!
Posted Image

#2 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Well into the 90's? It's well into the 100's here in Hephzibah!
Birds may do this to ventilate themselves. Opening their feathers allows air to circulate and cool down the bird.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#3 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Liam. We too are heading into the 100's the next few days in the NE Metro Atlanta area.

#4 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3618 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

This weekend is going to be miserable here in Georgia. It's 8 p.m. and still almost 100 here. yay.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 162

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 65
2014 so far: 102

#5 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:06 AM

They may be "anting". Some birds will lie on ant hills or trails and let the ants crawl over them, the theory is that the ants pick off parasites. Some birds will actually hold an ant in their bill and rub it on the feathers, the formic acid the ants use for defense either kills the parisites or drives them out of the feathers. Another theory suggests that birds also do this in direct sunlight on hot days, the heat from the sun having a similar affect to the acid. There are even reports of birds using lit cigarette butts for the same purpose. The bird holds the butt in its bill and lets the smoke waft over its feathers making the parisites uncomfortable enough that they drop off the bird. I've heard of at least three cases where a bird picked up a butt, flew to a nearby perch and then eventually dropped the butt, starting a fire.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#6 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Fisherman1313, that is some interesting info. Thanks for sharing. If it's the sunlight doing it, I imagine my yard will be plastered with birds the next few days!

#7 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1524 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

When it's really hot (like now), some of my yardbirds just stand around with their bills open. Black-billed Magpies and Western Scrub Jays do this & probably others.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 279. Latest: Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone, Snowy Plover

#8 Totah Sam

Totah Sam

Nat'aanii Nez

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNW New Mexico

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

When it's really hot (like now), some of my yardbirds just stand around with their bills open. Black-billed Magpies and Western Scrub Jays do this & probably others.

I was standing around with my billfold open today. My AC went out on my car. $803.00 to fix. oy vey!
TotahSam
Lifelist: 35

Latest lifers: Bewick's Wren (7/4/12) Ash-throated Flycatcher (7/5/12) Yellow-breasted Chat (7-13-12) American Goldfinch (7/15/12) Golden Eagle (7/22/12)

#9 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20758 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 03:42 AM

This weekend is going to be miserable here in Georgia. It's 8 p.m. and still almost 100 here. yay.

Meghann, did you see this? It was 112F in Columbia.

Posted Image

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#10 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Well into the 90's? It's well into the 100's here in Hephzibah!
Birds may do this to ventilate themselves. Opening their feathers allows air to circulate and cool down the bird.

So, it's 106 here today. My hummingbird just stopped by, and I think he burned his throat on the nectar. I keep dumping ice cubes in the bird bath, but can't help him. Liam, how is it going South of here?

#11 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3618 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think in mine and Liam's area it officially topped out at 106 today, too. Earlier this week they said it would be down to 100 tomorrow, but now they're saying 105. I am beyond ready for that front to get here! When it's 97 on Monday it's going to feel downright pleasant!

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 162

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 65
2014 so far: 102

#12 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3136 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

You guys need to send your birdies back down here! It never gets much above 80°, and is always cold enough to need several blankets at night. I keep several birdbaths on my patio and they get constant visits, even now during the rainy season!

I often see vultures holding their wings out from a high perch, but I've never seen birds lay out on the ground like is described here (except when bathing; they do all kinds of acrobatics then!)

Latest lifers: 17 from the Christmas Bird Count in Petén, including Tody Motmot, White-Whiskered Puffbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, and Black and White Owl. From the Christmas Bird Count in Antigua Guatemala, three: Mexican Whippoorwill, Hermit Warbler, and Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users