#1 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

This time of year I put out grape jelly for the Bullock's Orioles and Black-headed Grosbeaks. Yesterday, a couple of juvenile Western Scrub-jays who have been learning to be birds in our yard discovered the jelly. They love it! We've had Scrub-jays continuously in our yard since we moved here about 1 1/2 years ago and have rarely seen them interested in anything except the peanuts-in-the-shell we feed them.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

#2 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,009 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:43 PM

i went out the other days to fill and check my feeders and heard a poor baby squalling and sqeaking and found a fledgling little bullocks oriole standing in the bowl of strawberry jam his feet had sunk in the goo and he was stuck. i took him over to the bird bath and washed off the sticky stuff and cleaned his wing feathers dipped him back in the water several times to clean him up he sat there in my open palm for a minute or so and jumped to the ground and ran across the yard and got airborne and flew away

#3 threeofhardts

threeofhardts

threeofhardts

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationWest Michigan

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:34 AM

Awwww! For some reason, the song "Happy to be Stuck With You" is going through my head. :)

I'd rather be birding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users