Photo
- - - - -

Help me match these feathers to bird species?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hugwrangler

hugwrangler

hugwrangler

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Hey everyone,

I was hiking near Ukiah, CA the other day and found a gigantic pile of these feathers in a redwood forest. It appeared the bird had been predated because only the feathers remained. Unfortunately without the body I was unable to identify what species it was, but I collected a couple of feathers in hopes that some of my fellow bird nerds would be able to help me figure it out! They are medium sized (approximately 3.5 inches long) with rufus coloration, black tip on some plumes and gray-blue on others. My first guesses are some species of hawk (fledgling?) or maybe Mountain Quail (though the feathers might be too big to fit this species). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9193 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Those are from a male Ring-necked Pheasant. Someone must have came along before you and collected up the long tail feathers.
Creationist Birder

#3 hugwrangler

hugwrangler

hugwrangler

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Ahhhhhhh YES of course! The missing piece of the puzzle, those darn long tail feathers! That makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for your help! Really appreciate it. :)

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9193 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:55 AM

LOL! This is one of those cases when it helps to be a hunter and a birder. I'm thinking, I know I've seen those feathers before.......
Creationist Birder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users