#1 Pamela222

Pamela222

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIn the Great Northwoods of New Hampshire

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

Hi,

This little bird has been flitting around my backyard for about a month. I have seen him only two times, but yesterday near dusk, he was hopping and flitting about from tree to tree. My backyard has a good environment for birds, berry bushes, wild apple trees, birches, pines, a small swampy area with cattails, etc. I finally got a photo of him with my zoom, but couldn't get any closer to him, hee hee, he is very fast.

Sorry the pic isn't the best, but hope you could help me. This is in Northern New Hampshire. He is definately not a regular up here. He is very tiny, white chest, black head and back, orange of wings, short tail with organge at tip. Looks like a finch that I sometimes see in pet shops? An escapee?

Attached Files

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14154 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

Male American Redstart. They nest throughout New England, I suspect if you learn the song you'll find that they're more common than you thought.

#3 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7480 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

Agree 100% with psweet. Redstarts are members of the warbler family. I never see redstarts around here, but when I go looking for them, I can find quite a few.

#4 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

Maybe it's the one I saw in Tikal park in northern Guatemala at the end of April!

Latest lifers: 17 from the Christmas Bird Count in Petén, including Tody Motmot, White-Whiskered Puffbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, and Black and White Owl. From the Christmas Bird Count in Antigua Guatemala, three: Mexican Whippoorwill, Hermit Warbler, and Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher.

#5 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:58 AM

I saw a female in Texas in April and have been looking for a male here in Massachusetts with no luck. I know I can't count it as a lifer because I've seen the female, but I sure want to see one. You give me hope.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#6 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

I know I can't count it as a lifer because I've seen the female

?? Why doesn't that count as a lifer?

Latest lifers: 17 from the Christmas Bird Count in Petén, including Tody Motmot, White-Whiskered Puffbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, and Black and White Owl. From the Christmas Bird Count in Antigua Guatemala, three: Mexican Whippoorwill, Hermit Warbler, and Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher.

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7480 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:11 AM

Yeah, no reason it can't be counted. Why wouldn't it be? It's still a member of that species. Females aren't worth less than males. I only have a female harlequin duck, I've got it on my life list.

#8 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

I worded that wrong. I counted the female as a lifer. I meant I was looking to see the male which I have never seen just because I want to see one. That is the one I can't count as a lifer because I already logged the Redstart when I saw the female.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#9 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 05:08 AM

I worded that wrong. I counted the female as a lifer. I meant I was looking to see the male which I have never seen just because I want to see one. That is the one I can't count as a lifer because I already logged the Redstart when I saw the female.

OH OK! That makes sense!

#10 Pamela222

Pamela222

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:27 PM

Male American Redstart. They nest throughout New England, I suspect if you learn the song you'll find that they're more common than you thought.

Hey, thank you So much for your reply!!! I couldn't find it in my bird book but now I will take a second look, how tiny he was threw me. I think there might be another one too. Will keep my eyes peeled.

Pam

#11 Pamela222

Pamela222

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

I saw a female in Texas in April and have been looking for a male here in Massachusetts with no luck. I know I can't count it as a lifer because I've seen the female, but I sure want to see one. You give me hope.

Hi texasachusetts, so if I see two, male and female, I can count it as a lifer? I don't know what that means? Thanks for your answer. This little one is very elusive.

Pam

#12 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7480 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

Any bird, regardless of age or sex, can be counted as a lifer. A lifer is a species of bird you're seeing for the first time.

#13 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:20 PM

Many of us who are into birding at various levels make something called a life list. It means we count each species of bird you see in your life. You only have to see either the male or female to count it. When you see the bird for the first time, it is called a "lifer" short for going on your life list. I am pretty new at doing this but find it really fun. To me it's like a scavenger hunt. My husband likes to photograph the bird and then figure it out. He says it is like detective work. What's really nice is we enjoy it together.

#14 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi texasachusetts, so if I see two, male and female, I can count it as a lifer? I don't know what that means? Thanks for your answer. This little one is very elusive.

Pam

I understood her to mean that she saw a female first, so that went on her life list; now she's eager to see a male, even though it wouldn't go on her life list since she already saw the female. In other words, either a male or female goes on the life list; but if you see a female first and later see a male (or the other way around), you don't add the species a second time.

I do note the sex of birds I see if I can tell, but I think all of us are in agreement that male or female is good for marking that species as one you've seen.

EDIT because Texachusetts is a "she" and I noticed I added an incorrect word in the last sentence :wacko:

#15 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 07:34 PM

Many of us who are into birding at various levels make something called a life list. It means we count each species of bird you see in your life. You only have to see either the male or female to count it. When you see the bird for the first time, it is called a "lifer" short for going on your life list. I am pretty new at doing this but find it really fun. To me it's like a scavenger hunt. My husband likes to photograph the bird and then figure it out. He says it is like detective work. What's really nice is we enjoy it together.

OOPS sorry I should have finished reading the thread before I posted!!!

#16 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

That's OK Helen...you are right about everything except that I am a she. I am extracting bird pictures from multiple trips to the Carribean and Costa Rica. Hopefully you'll be on line when I post some of those for ID's as your location suggests you might be familiar with some of them.

#17 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

That's OK Helen...you are right about everything except that I am a she. I am extracting bird pictures from multiple trips to the Carribean and Costa Rica. Hopefully you'll be on line when I post some of those for ID's as your location suggests you might be familiar with some of them.

OOPS very sorry about that! You look like a he in your avatar :P

I'll look for those photos - maybe I'll know a few!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users