• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:41 PM

Does anyone know if this an Eyed Click Beetle?Posted Image

Life list: 158
Yard list: 82 - latest yard bird : Wood Duck
Latest Lifers:  Ring-billed Gull, EVENING GROSBEAK, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Snow Goose, Canada Warbler

#2 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3045 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yes it is.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#3 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2805 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

oh cool i had one looking sorta like that fly on me the other day
Yard list 139
Bird lifers 369
Birds in Peru 90
Birds in the U.S. 294
Latest- Bachman's Sparrow, Ross's Goose, Barn Owl, American Tree Sparrow, Eared Grebe
Butterfly lifers- 68
Latest- Long-tailed Skipper, Palmades Swallowtail, Gulf Fritillary, Baltimore Checkerspot, Meadow Fritillary
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 17
Latest- Great Blue Skimmer, Powdered Dancer, Ebony Jewelwing, Halloween Pennant, Black Saddleback
Year list- 165
Latest- Whimbrel

#4 Jenny81

Jenny81

Jenny81

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thanks! It looked like one in a field guide that has many kinds of bugs in North America listed, but I have a suspicion that this particular guide is missing big chunks of information because it has less than twenty dragonflies listed.

Life list: 158
Yard list: 82 - latest yard bird : Wood Duck
Latest Lifers:  Ring-billed Gull, EVENING GROSBEAK, WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, Snow Goose, Canada Warbler

#5 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3045 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:22 PM

Many insect guides only show a few dragonflies, butterflies and moths and only one member of each of the other families.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#6 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14004 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 14 July 2012 - 04:49 PM

There are roughly 90,000 species of insects (and that doesn't include ticks, mites, spiders, centipedes, etc.) in North America -- any guide big enough to cover all of them would take up entire shelves! And many of them can be identified to species only by dissection, so a field guide format runs out of utility pretty quick.

Another option for bugs you can't get an answer on here is Bugguide.net. They have an ID request page where you can post photos in hopes someone will know what they are. Make sure you read the do's and don'ts first, though!

#7 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

There are roughly 90,000 species of insects (and that doesn't include ticks, mites, spiders, centipedes, etc.) in North America -- any guide big enough to cover all of them would take up entire shelves! And many of them can be identified to species only by dissection, so a field guide format runs out of utility pretty quick.

Another option for bugs you can't get an answer on here is Bugguide.net. They have an ID request page where you can post photos in hopes someone will know what they are. Make sure you read the do's and don'ts first, though!

And settle in for a long wait. I posted my skipper photos on July 1st and have not yet gotten a response. They are now on page 62. I did not see the "do's and dont's" though so perhaps I did something wrong. I just looked for them on the site and couldn't find them. Do you know where they are psweet?

#8 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14004 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:47 PM

If you check the upper right part of the page, you'll find "Your images". That will take you right to them. What I do is after 3 or 4 days, I'll move them to a group page, in the case of a skipper it would be to the Butterflies page. Apparently some of their experts just go straight there so they don't have to wade through all the other stuff.

The 'do's and don't's' page is reached from the Help tab.

#9 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14004 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:49 PM

Of course, sometimes you will have a long wait, as you said.

#10 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

If you check the upper right part of the page, you'll find "Your images". That will take you right to them. What I do is after 3 or 4 days, I'll move them to a group page, in the case of a skipper it would be to the Butterflies page. Apparently some of their experts just go straight there so they don't have to wade through all the other stuff.

The 'do's and don't's' page is reached from the Help tab.

Thanks, psweet. I moved my images to the Skippers page since that is what they are. Did you have a specific reason for suggesting the Butterflies page instead? Now that I know how to move them I could put them there if you think that would be better.

#11 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14004 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

I just wasn't sure where your best bet was. Most of my shots end up in the Moths page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users