#1 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:21 AM

So I am realizing that I need to go back and review my pictures and make sure what I know now about iding birds jive with what I thought I knew in the beginning. Right now my list stands at 130. I fear it will fall after I review a couple flycatcher and a green winged teal.

Have you ever had to remove a bird from your list? How long was the bird on your list?

Just looking to see if any other newish birders have my dread and pain... :)

Benjamin DeHaven

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#2 Forestina

Forestina

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:30 PM

I am brand new at this so I am not at that point yet. Everything I have seen so far, I am getting verified here until I am sure. I assume it would be a bummer to realize you were wrong but much better than thinking you saw something you didn't. And how much sweeter when you get to see the real thing :)
"Faith is the bird that feels the light and sings when the dawn is still dark."
Rabindranath Tagore

#3 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:29 PM

Can't remember where I read the quote, it was attributed to a famous birder possibly Kenn Kaufman. It said "The difference between an experienced birder and an inexperienced one is that the inexperienced birder has misidentified a few birds while the experienced one has misidentified hundreds." Or something like that. Anyway you can get the gist of a very important point.

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

#4 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,120 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Not too long ago, I misidentified a bird so removed it from the list. But then a month later, I actually got to claim that previous mistake as a lifer and a yard bird.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-169
Yard list- 125

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler

#5 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:30 AM

I was at Point Reyes in the fall of 2010 and thought I saw a Pacific Loon, but I did not really take a good look at the bird. I counted it but had been thinking about taking it off my list for several months. I finally decided to delete it, but I've also added a bird that I saw over a year ago and finally IDed on the Fourth of July. Here's the link to the thread about my belated bird; http://www.whatbird....-list-addition/

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#6 Desertthorn

Desertthorn

Desertthorn

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:41 PM

I removed some birds from my list that I actually decided captured birds shouldn't be included. I knew that in my heart but when I frist started I thought numbers were important. Now, while I keep a life list, numbers are not as important as the sighting itself. I have an Egyptian Goose that I haven't removed yet. I saw it at the Cibola NWR in AZ but I'm thinking it might be captured. Its a toss up and I may or maynot remove it.

#7 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:57 PM

That's a tough one. It's much more likely that the Egyptian Goose was imported as a pet or farm stock, but there is always the chance it flew from its home range (to lazy to look that up atm) to Arizona. I felt that same annoyance (to a much lesser degree considering the birds involved though) when I saw my first "domestic" Peking Duck swimming with some Mallards in a drainage overflow pond in the "wild". I didn't realize until I got home that Peking Duck wasn't on any of my checklists (insert Peking Duck on the menu joke here...). I have seen pictures of the Egyptian Goose and they are beautiful, that would be exciting to stumble upon!

Benjamin DeHaven

PS. I stated in my first post in this thread that I needed to verify, among other things, the sighting of the Green Winged Teal. I am happy to report that after looking at the pictures I took, not only did I get one, I got both a male and a female and the pictures were very clear which allowed for an unmistakable ID of the Teal. Now my Willow Flycatcher and Eastern Phoebe are my concern.

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#8 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:14 PM

Benjamin, seeing Peking Duck in the wild would be quite extraordinary (especially if it was still alive), Peking Duck is a dish served in Chinese restaurants (as you alluded to in your post), the white domestic ducks are Pekin Ducks, just so you know.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

#9 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 17 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

First off, I've had to remove several birds from my life list. Most were captive.

Second, at Murray Lake I saw two Pekin Ducks. . . aka domestic mallards. Slightly larger then wild ones, and white.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#10 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:17 AM

Benjamin, seeing Peking Duck in the wild would be quite extraordinary (especially if it was still alive), Peking Duck is a dish served in Chinese restaurants (as you alluded to in your post), the white domestic ducks are Pekin Ducks, just so you know.

:lol: Ah, what a difference a "g" makes. I did look them up originally and I guess I completely missed that difference. I just assumed these white ducks where kept by farms that sold mainly to Chinese restaurants but a few lucky ducks escaped. I guess that's still true, but again, back to that "g". Difference between a white duck that seems to have a thing for Mallards (judging by the hybrids I find around here) and a cooked duck floating in a lake.

Oh well, won't look at that duck the same again.

Benjamin DeHaven

#11 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:28 AM

Not all park ducks are escapees. I posted this in another thread, so you may have read it already, but here it is if not; Many domestic ducks get dumped in public parks when the cute little duckling given to a child as an Easter present grows into a noisy adult and starts pooping everywhere. Or, as in the case with the ducks my sister and I had when I was so little I can't even remember it now, one dies and the other one gets "lonely".

I used to think the white ducks were called Peking when I was a kid so you are not alone, it's a pretty common mistake.

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

#12 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:10 AM

Since I started birding at age 7, I have removed some of my earliest sightings from my list. I keep track of my lifers in the back of field guides, and I lost one that had all of my sightings in it. I had to try to redo it by memory. I had to leave off all that I couldn't pinpoint as to when I saw them. It's funny, I thought I remembered seeing Varied Thrush as a kid, in my mom's garden, but I started doubting my memory and de-listed it. A few years later, I was visiting my mom, and guess what bird showed again some 30 years later in her garden. So Varied Thrush got re-listed. There's probably about 20 or so species that should be on my list, but I just couldn't pin down that sighting.
Creationist Birder

#13 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,492 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:20 PM

When I was younger I was an optimist. Anything that might have been something, probably was. Like a raptor that flew over my car when I was 9 in Virginia. I counted it as a Merlin, even though it was probably Sharp-shinned Hawk or something. I didn't go by field marks, but rather by possibility. I'd already seen a Sharp-shinned Hawk, so, hell why not a Merlin?
I had somewhere around 320 birds on my list until I realized that it was ridiculous to count a species I wasn't positive I had seen. I removed a ton of birds from my lifelist and ended up with something like 170.
Then there were the birds I had misidentified through my own ignorance, such as the "Snow Goose", which was actually a Pilgrim Goose gander, or the "Clay-colored Sparrow" which was really a nonbreeding Chipping Sparrow.
Nowadays I keep birds that I'm ~75% sure on (as opposed to 100%), on my list with an asterik by them. These only include: Worm-eating Warbler, Prairie Warbler, Common Raven, Semipalmated Sandpiper, and LeConte's Sparrow

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users