7 replies to this topic

#1 alexalgebra

alexalgebra

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:58 AM

Hello!

I have been trying for a week to figure out what kind of bird is in my tree, but I am at a loss. I'm a very novice birder, just like to ID what's in my yard.

There are couple of birds that I haven't been able to get a full-on look at that live in a tree in my yard. They are incredibly noisy, mostly in the morning and a little before dusk. The sounds are a godawful screeching baby-strangling sort of noise, and when they make the screams, their whole body flutters. It seems like it's some kind of aggressive display against the bluebirds that are also in the tree.

From what I can tell, the birds are white underneath and darker on top - kind of a greyish/brown, and the wings seem to be darker and maybe iridescent at the tips. They are chubby/fluffy and have a medium long beak.

Thank you!!!

#2 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:06 AM

Where are you? Did you get an idea of how big the birds are?

Helen

EDIT and Welcome to WhatBird!!!

Latest lifer: Ruddy-Capped Nightingale-Thrush

#3 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

Maybe Northern Mockingbird??

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#4 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:12 AM

Welcome to the sight, Alex (that's an interesting last name, by the way). Although the description doesn't quite fit, the behavior sounds like European Starling.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#5 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,470 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

Welcome to Whatbird! They sound like juveniles, probably mockingbirds. Location can help narrow down possibilities.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#6 alexalgebra

alexalgebra

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Ah - sorry, I'm in Portland, OR. The birds are smallish and pretty fluffy/chubby, like the size of a medium orange with a head, tail, and legs.

#7 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,470 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Okay, that's out of range for mockingbird. Black-billed Magpie seems like a good option.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#8 jeffroscoe

jeffroscoe

jeffroscoe

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, WA

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:08 AM

Okay, that's out of range for mockingbird. Black-billed Magpie seems like a good option.

I usually don't get involved with ID's, especially without a picture, but a Black-billed Magpie would be very, very unusual on the west side of the Cascade Mountains, so I doubt that's it. But.......I got no idea, otherwise.

Life list 263. Latest lifers: Black Swift, Calliope Hummingbird, Yellow-breasted Chat and Veery. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users