• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hiddenparadox

hiddenparadox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 10:04 PM

Attached File  securedownload-1.jpeg   96.98KB   60 downloadsAttached File  securedownload.jpeg   115.41KB   58 downloadsI saw a bird today that had three variations of orange on its feathers. I'm thinking that this bird was formerly a pet bird since there is no way that a bird with colors like these can blend in and hide in its environment. Specifically a canary, but I could be mistaken since I haven't gotten a close up look at the bird's head.

I've managed to take 2 pictures of the bird with my cell phone camera before it flew away. I couldn't find a wild bird similar to this one existing from the Birds of North America book I have and the internet wasn't of much help either.

So guys, what bird could this possibly be?

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 17 July 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'm thinking it's a canary, also. However, there are thousands of very brightly colored birds in the wild - orioles and goldfinches are very bright orange and yellow. The painted bunting is green, red, blue and several other colors. Parrots are very brightly colored. Most warblers have yellow on them.

#3 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,436 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Yes, that is a Canary. And BarnSwallow is right, there are many birds in the world that you would not think would be able to blend into their environment, but when you try to find them in a tree or bush they just seem to disappear.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Sooty Grouse, Great Gray Owl: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Calliope Hummingbird, Evening Grosbeak: Niagara Creek Campgrounds, Tuolumne County, CA 8/4/14

Northern Goshawk: Eagle Meadow, Tuolumne County, CA, 8/4

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Short-billed Dowitcher: Ceres Wastewater Treatment Facility, Cere, CA, 8/20/14

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker: Yosemite National Park, Mariposa County, CA, 8/18/14

Peregrine Falcon, Black Tern, Bank Swallow: Modesto Wastewater treatment Facility, Modesto, CA, 8/10/14

Mountain Quail: Hwy 108 at Cow Creek, Tulomne County, CA, 8/4/14

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

#4 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,733 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:15 AM

I agree with Canary there. Sure have been a lot of them on here lately. I didn't think they were that popular anymore.
Creationist Birder

#5 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,987 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:19 AM

Apparently, they're not!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users