#1 snick

snick

snick

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:43 AM

Seen 2 weeks ago at Crater Lake, Oregon. Thought it was a House Finch, but I just obtained the bird list for Crater Lake, and they're listed as rare (as are Purple Finch, my next guess). Is this a Cassin's?

[attachment=98966:what_bird.jpg]

Life List: 328
Photographed: 320

2014: 219

S.Clara County: 209
Latest:

Swainson's Hawk (4/6), Cassin's Vireo (4/1), Thayer's Gull (3/18), Tropical Kingbird, Rusty Blackbird (3/11), American Redstart (2/24), White-winged Dove (2/23), Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Black-and-white Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler (2/22), Snail Kite (2/21), Tricolored Heron, Roseate Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, Barred Owl, White-eyed Vireo, Northern Parula, White Ibis, Little Blue Heron, Purple Gallinule, Wood Stork, Anhinga, Black Vulture (2/20)

#2 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9166 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:05 AM

Looks like Cassin's to me, with the sharp streaking on the back, the rosy breast, pale nape, and contrasting red crown.
Creationist Birder

#3 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:11 AM

I am no expert, but it looks closer to a House Finch than a Purple Finch to me after consulting Sibley and Birds of the Willamette Valley Region. The House Finch has a lighter coloring surrounding the eye which your photos show, whereas the Purple Finch does not. BUT, it looks even closer to a Cassin's as the red crown contrasts with the rest of the head as Sibley points out, AND the Cassin's has the lighter ring around the eye. So I would go with Cassin's and advise you to wait for someone more experienced to weigh in.

Uh, creeker beat me to it. :)

#4 Totah Sam

Totah Sam

Nat'aanii Nez

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationNW New Mexico

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:33 AM

Oh great, now I have a THIRD Finch to not identify correctly. :P
TotahSam
Lifelist: 35

Latest lifers: Bewick's Wren (7/4/12) Ash-throated Flycatcher (7/5/12) Yellow-breasted Chat (7-13-12) American Goldfinch (7/15/12) Golden Eagle (7/22/12)

#5 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9166 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 22 July 2012 - 03:26 PM

Sam, get to know Purple Finch's song versus House Finch. My first confirmed Purple Finch was a young male that was singing. At a glance I might have passed it off as another House Finch. I had to take three dedicated trips up in the mountains here, with a total of about 20 miles hiking, just to find it the first time. Now I need to find a Cassin's.
Creationist Birder

#6 snick

snick

snick

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:17 PM

Now I need to find a Cassin's.

Take a little vacation to Crater Lake! ; )

Life List: 328
Photographed: 320

2014: 219

S.Clara County: 209
Latest:

Swainson's Hawk (4/6), Cassin's Vireo (4/1), Thayer's Gull (3/18), Tropical Kingbird, Rusty Blackbird (3/11), American Redstart (2/24), White-winged Dove (2/23), Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Eastern Phoebe, Black-and-white Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler (2/22), Snail Kite (2/21), Tricolored Heron, Roseate Spoonbill, Glossy Ibis, Barred Owl, White-eyed Vireo, Northern Parula, White Ibis, Little Blue Heron, Purple Gallinule, Wood Stork, Anhinga, Black Vulture (2/20)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users