#1 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:52 AM

I remember seeing a lot of birds in Curacao. Now I want to go back. I think this is called a Troupial? I recall them coming in yellow too. Would the yellow ones be females or juveniles perhaps? Posted Image. These I assume are a pigeon of some sort? They were photographed at a restaurant called Janchees where birds fly freely Posted Image We kept trying to get pictures of these delightful birds which were almost always in groups of 2, 4 or 6. Obviously a parrot or parakeet, but what are they called?Posted Image and then one landed on our patio and checked us out.Posted Image. We aslo saw flamingos in the marshes. Are there more than 1 kind and if so, does anyone know what the ones on Curacao are? Thanks again!

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#2 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 03:15 AM

Sorry I goofed and can't figure out how to fix it. It figures I'd have extra pigeons! Here are the parrot/parakeets I am trying to name Posted Image

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#3 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSailing Up The West Coast Of Mexico

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:48 AM

Hi Tx,
You are right, the bird in photo #1 is a Troupial Icterus icterus. Juveniles are yellow and the adults are orange. The pigeons you have posted are Bare-eyed Pigeons Columba corensis. The parrots are Brown-throated Parakeets Aratinga pertinax. The Flamingos are Phoenicopterus ruber. There are four flamingo species in the Americas.
Wasn't Jaanchies fun?? I loved all the troupicals and bananaquits on the patio and the monster decor in the waiting area.
Sue

#4 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

I loved Jaanchees (which you spelled right)...actually I loved Curacao. It is my favorite of the 11 islands I have seen. We stayed at the Marriott for 4 nights then 4 up on the West side, which was SO different. That is where we saw the parakeets everywhere. People who go on cruises don't get to see most of the interesting areas. I wish we had been more into birding, but we were enough into wildlife to get some pictures. I know we have seen bananaquit on several islands too, but I don't have pictures...and the hilarious grackles on Barbados! Again no pictures. I'd love to go back to Curacao and over to Bonaire for a few days. The birds are supposed to be even better there.

#5 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSailing Up The West Coast Of Mexico

Posted 28 July 2012 - 07:10 PM

My old laptop with my Curacao bird list is dead and until I can retrieve data, all my photos and lists on it are lost. However, I posted a birding day on Bonaire blog post and attached my Bonaire bird list on the post. Here's a link to get an idea of what you can see:

http://birdingaboard...in-bonaire.html

#6 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 08:14 PM

Thanks SuzanneO. I am amazed at how much you have traveled, and I also appreciate that you are able to ID birds I have seen out of the US. I've always wanted to return to Curacao and now I am sure I would like to hit Bonaire at the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users