Photo
- - - - -

Juvenile Osprey in first flight..............

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:28 AM

Today when I went to the nearby Osprey nest I noticed that there was only one Osprey rather than up to the family of four. Two Osprey were hatched earlier this year, and in recent days the young were doing 'simulated takeoffs', but remaining at the nest.

One of the juveniles had made it over to a nearby dead tree and I was able to get in close..................

Posted Image

Behind us was the ever-watchful mother Osprey in a tree she often rests at..................

Posted Image

The juvenile was quite wary of taking-off..................

Posted Image

Made it down to another tree stump............

Posted Image

And then back to the nest (left) to join his sibling.

Posted Image

I'll be watching to see how soon they fly 'south', as everything is very early this year.
Thanks for looking in.

#2 snick

snick

snick

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Fantastic photos! Were these all taken with your namesake?

Life List: 396 (ABA: 386)
Photographed: 381

2014: 339

S.Clara County: 220
Latest:  Common Nighthawk (7/30)

Trip report:  SoCal, AZ  http://www.whatbird....-back/?p=655225

#3 johnd

johnd

johnd

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 743 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:56 AM

gorgeous birds.

#4 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:27 AM

Thanks.
These were all taken today (7/28/12) with my Canon T2i and 400L lens, hand-held.

(okay, I do have 30+ years of experience in photography, and I like to think that helps somewhat!) :)

#5 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:43 AM

You've got some really nice shots here, canon eos! Very crisp and detailed. I like the close in ones especially.

#6 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

You've got some really nice shots here, canon eos! Very crisp and detailed. I like the close in ones especially.

Thank you.
I suspect that the juvenile does not have the 'smarts' of its parents as yet, so allowed me to get closer. That and the fact that flying isn't exactly intuitive as yet!

#7 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,064 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Great photos!

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

#8 Kaysei

Kaysei

Kaysei

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts
  • Locationsouth GA yall

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

Fantastic!

#9 aglaaluk

aglaaluk

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:59 AM

Beautiful shots!
Jeff,

#10 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

Thanks.
These were all taken today (7/28/12) with my Canon T2i and 400L lens, hand-held.

(okay, I do have 30+ years of experience in photography, and I like to think that helps somewhat!) :)

NEVER say that. It's always most impressive when you say 'It was my first time out with my camera' :D

But yeah, those are spectacular shots. Such beautiful birds. So looking forward to getting that SLR soon, though I know it'll take me a LOOOOONG time to get those types of shots.

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#11 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:41 PM

Thank you.
I mention that because some folks think that by 'just' buying a certain camera or lens it will magically allow them to get excellent photos.
If I buy the brushes, oils and canvas that some artists use............
or if I buy a Ferrari...........
I'll look like a fool if I try to achieve what some seasoned and gifted folks can do with those 'tools'.

#12 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Thank you.
I mention that because some folks think that by 'just' buying a certain camera or lens it will magically allow them to get excellent photos.
If I buy the brushes, oils and canvas that some artists use............
or if I buy a Ferrari...........
I'll look like a fool if I try to achieve what some seasoned and gifted folks can do with those 'tools'.

Yup, exactly! Takes time learning how to use the tools, lots of practice, and even more important.... lot's of patience! I view photography as a life long learning process. Can only get better the more you're at it.

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users