#1 TheGodComplex

TheGodComplex

bored2tears

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I found this poor young heron dead at the beach today. It definitely is a juvenile, but I cannot tell what kind it is. It may be a Green Heron, but it also could be a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron. The shot was taken today in Central New Jersey.

Posted Image

Lifers: 96

#2 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,855 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

My guess is juvie Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, with that thick bill.

EDIT: After looking at pictures of juvie Black-crowneds, I change my answer to that. :)

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#3 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd say Black-crowned Night Heron based on the bicolored bill.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Pine Grosbeak: Plasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Prairie Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker (5), Pygmy Nuthatch: pPlasse's Resort, Amador County, CA, 7/27/14

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14, 7/2/14, 7/6/14

Bald Eagle, Costa's Hummingbird, Willow Flycatcher: Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 5/24/14

Gray Flycatcher: McHenry Recreation Area, Escalon, CA, 5/13/14

Black Tern: Modesto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 5/11/14

#4 stitch58

stitch58

stitch58

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationClifton, NJ

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Agree with juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron seen at the Morgan Ave. Mudflats ;). Did you see the whale?

Life List - 324 Latest Lifers - Pacific Loon, Tufted Duck, Vesper SparrowSooty ShearwaterChuck-will's-widow, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Smith's Longspur, Yellow-headed BlackbirdNeotropic Cormorant, Yellow-bellied FlycatcherAlder Flycatcher
My Photostream; http://www.flickr.co...s/72163737@N07/

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei

#5 TheGodComplex

TheGodComplex

bored2tears

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Agree with juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron seen at the Morgan Ave. Mudflats ;). Did you see the whale?

Wait, that is where the whale was?! I have no idea how I missed that.

(Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you check out my other thread to help identify the gulls and terns there; also at the Mudflats. :P )

Lifers: 96

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,638 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I see a few dead Black-crowned Night Heron fledglings each year at my local lake. The parents make flimsy nests, and the young branch out early. Some fall to the ground too early.
Creationist Birder

#7 stitch58

stitch58

stitch58

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationClifton, NJ

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Wait, that is where the whale was?! I have no idea how I missed that.

(Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you check out my other thread to help identify the gulls and terns there; also at the Mudflats. :P )

Sorry for the late reply. Sorry you missed it though. It was a bit further down the beach by Raritan Waterfront Park but you could see it from the Mudflats. Neat to see, especially since they were able to free it :). Here's a picture.

Posted Image
Minke Whale Being Rescued in S. Amboy by Greg's Always Catchin' Up, on Flickr

Life List - 324 Latest Lifers - Pacific Loon, Tufted Duck, Vesper SparrowSooty ShearwaterChuck-will's-widow, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Smith's Longspur, Yellow-headed BlackbirdNeotropic Cormorant, Yellow-bellied FlycatcherAlder Flycatcher
My Photostream; http://www.flickr.co...s/72163737@N07/

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." Galileo Galilei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users