#1 TheGodComplex

TheGodComplex

bored2tears

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:40 PM

I found this poor young heron dead at the beach today. It definitely is a juvenile, but I cannot tell what kind it is. It may be a Green Heron, but it also could be a Yellow-Crowned Night Heron. The shot was taken today in Central New Jersey.

Posted Image

Lifers: 96

#2 Melissa :)

Melissa :)

bluebird88

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2853 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

My guess is juvie Yellow-crowned Night-Heron, with that thick bill.

EDIT: After looking at pictures of juvie Black-crowneds, I change my answer to that. :)

Best Lifers: Iceland Gull, Snowy Owl, Tufted Duck, Barnacle Goose, Northern Saw-Whet Owl, Hooded Warbler, Yellow-throated Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler
ABA Life List: 242

World Life List: 271

ABA 2014 List: 72

ABA 2013 List: 227 -/+

Pictures: http://bluebird88.imgur.com

#3 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3051 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:44 PM

I'd say Black-crowned Night Heron based on the bicolored bill.

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers

My Year List

Spoiler

Latest Lifer(s):

Northern Pygmy Owl (FINALLY!): Del Puerto Canyon, Stanislaus County, CA, 3/24/14

Swamp Sparrow: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 3/11/14

Little Gull: Modseto Secondary Wastewater Treatment Plant, Modesto, CA, 2/9/14

Ruff; Ceres Sewage Ponds, Ceres, CA, 1/28/14

Favorite Recent Birds (non-lifers):

Western Screech-Owl: Enslen Park, Modesto, CA, 4/16/14

Pileated Woodpecker: Indian Grinding Rocks State Historic Park, Volcano, CA, 4/13/14

Semipalmated Plover, Yellow-headed Blackbird: Merced NWR, Merced County, CA, 4/12/14

Pacific Golden-Plover: Ripon Sewage ponds, Ripon, CA, 4/8/14

Horned Grebe, Whimbrel: Woodward Reservoir, Oakdale, CA, 4/6/13

Bald Eagle, Vesper Sparrow: Hunt Rd., Calaveras County, CA, 4/6/13

#4 stitch58

stitch58

stitch58

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationClifton, NJ

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Agree with juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron seen at the Morgan Ave. Mudflats ;). Did you see the whale?

Life List - 322 Latest Lifers - Rufous Hummingbird, Glaucous Gull, Pacific Loon, Tufted Duck, Vesper SparrowSooty ShearwaterChuck-will's-widow, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Smith's Longspur, Yellow-headed BlackbirdNeotropic Cormorant
My Photostream; http://www.flickr.co...s/72163737@N07/

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” Galileo Galilei

#5 TheGodComplex

TheGodComplex

bored2tears

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:50 PM

Agree with juvenile Black-crowned Night-Heron seen at the Morgan Ave. Mudflats ;). Did you see the whale?

Wait, that is where the whale was?! I have no idea how I missed that.

(Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you check out my other thread to help identify the gulls and terns there; also at the Mudflats. :P )

Lifers: 96

#6 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9176 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

I see a few dead Black-crowned Night Heron fledglings each year at my local lake. The parents make flimsy nests, and the young branch out early. Some fall to the ground too early.
Creationist Birder

#7 stitch58

stitch58

stitch58

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1962 posts
  • LocationClifton, NJ

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:20 AM

Wait, that is where the whale was?! I have no idea how I missed that.

(Also, if you wouldn't mind, can you check out my other thread to help identify the gulls and terns there; also at the Mudflats. :P )

Sorry for the late reply. Sorry you missed it though. It was a bit further down the beach by Raritan Waterfront Park but you could see it from the Mudflats. Neat to see, especially since they were able to free it :). Here's a picture.

Posted Image
Minke Whale Being Rescued in S. Amboy by Greg's Always Catchin' Up, on Flickr

Life List - 322 Latest Lifers - Rufous Hummingbird, Glaucous Gull, Pacific Loon, Tufted Duck, Vesper SparrowSooty ShearwaterChuck-will's-widow, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Clay-colored Sparrow, Smith's Longspur, Yellow-headed BlackbirdNeotropic Cormorant
My Photostream; http://www.flickr.co...s/72163737@N07/

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” Galileo Galilei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users