Photo
- - - - -

Can't figure out what kind of hawk this is!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thecommunistotter

thecommunistotter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:01 PM

Hello all! I created this account to help me and and my mom identify a lovely hawk we saw in our backyard today! This is the bird:
Posted Image
We are pretty sure it is a juvenile of one of these three birds: Cooper's Hawk, Red Shouldered Hawk, or Red Tailed Hawk. We live in New Jersey along the Delaware River, and while we technically live in the suburbs, our particular area is fairly heavily forested and slightly marshy, if the location matters. My mom said she heard it scream, which our books say is more of a red tailed hawk thing, and they are the more common hawk in our area, but we wanted to make sure and I figured you all would be a great help!
Here is the original not cropped version of the above image, if it helps with size comparison:
Posted Image
The playground equipment is fairly small, if that helps.
Thanks for your help!

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,500 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:21 AM

This is a Cooper's Hawk. A Red-tail wouldn't have the strong streaks across the breast, and both a Red-tail and a Red-shouldered would have a much heavier build with a shorter tail.

#3 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:25 AM

Agree with Coopers.

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,988 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I agree. Good job on narrowing it down! Cooper's hawks are most confused with sharp-shinned hawks, which are nearly identical.

#5 thecommunistotter

thecommunistotter

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

Ah, thank you all very much.

#6 Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

Sgtmac1

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • LocationYakima, WA

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

Just curious, do you have bird feeders in that back yard. Bird feeders are considered winter habitat for Coopers and Sharp-shinned Hawks.Welcome to whatbird, Mac.
Newest lifers: Harris's Sparrow, 311.

#7 Pat B.

Pat B.

Young at heart birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationNorthern Utah

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:29 AM

Bird feeders are considered winter habitat for Coopers and Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Funny you should say that. I've gotten them in the winter before, but lately I've got one regularly in mid-summer (Cooper's). I'd guess the books say "winter feeders" because more people feed in the winter than year-round.

~ Pat ~ I eBird. Do you?

Life list 281. Latest: Little Blue Heron, Bobolink, Brown Creeper, Mute Swan, Surf Scoter, Sabine's Gull, Solitary Sandpiper, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black Tern, Ruddy Turnstone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users