28 replies to this topic

#1 mikeh727

mikeh727

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:01 AM

Hello all,

I have iBird Pro 2 installed on my Motorola Droid 3 and it had been working just fine. Today it wanted to update and went through the process of verifying files until it hit 96% and it crashed, giving me the option to force close or report. It did this several times after selecting force close. I also reported the problem.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it still does the same thing at 96%.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

#2 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:15 AM

Hi Mike, Sorry this is happening. When you say you reported it did you email support@ibird.com?

#3 mikeh727

mikeh727

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:30 AM

Hi Mike, Sorry this is happening. When you say you reported it did you email support@ibird.com?

I did send a description of the problem through the 'contact us' page this evening.

When I clicked the 'report' option on the phone, I described the problem but after I did so I am inclined to believe that it went to the Play store, not to iBird.

#4 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:46 AM

Let me check with support. Might be Monday before I we get back to you.

#5 mikeh727

mikeh727

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:29 AM

Let me check with support. Might be Monday before I we get back to you.

Sounds great. Thanks for your help.

-Mike

#6 Jersey Jeepster

Jersey Jeepster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

I am having the exact same problem. The app keeps trying to update, so now I am worrying if it is going to keep downloading and then crashing but chewing up my data allowance in the meantime.

96% and then the failure message everytime. I cannot get into the app to use it or turn off the update setting.

#7 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:12 PM

I will report this to Admin, however it appears to be the same as the first post.

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#8 lordit

lordit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:29 PM

I too am am having the exact same problem as the first poster on my Coby Kyros tablet. Now of course I can't use the app at all. Hope this can be fixed.....

#9 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:30 AM

This problem has been reported.

Bigfoot

#10 mikeh727

mikeh727

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

My problem has been resolved. :D

Madeline from customer support contacted me and advised me to uninstall the app, then to go into the system and use a file manager to remove the iBird_Pro folder. Apparently that folder remains after the app has been uninstalled, but it appears to contain all of the data that the program used. Once I removed the folder, I was able to re-install the program without any problem and it works great.

My droid has an app that came installed called 'Files'. I used that to navigate to the folder in my phone storage area and found the folder there. You can long press on the folder and you will then be given several options. Choose 'Delete'.

If you moved the app to your SD card, I'd check both the phone storage and the SD storage and remove the folder from both places if it exists.

If you don't have a file app, Madeline suggested a free one called Astro, but there are many other free ones out there that I've seen.

For the support team, it appeared to be the WingedExplorer.db file that was causing the problem when I was trying to update. It flashed fairly quickly but I watched as it downloaded the new data after re-installing and I'm certain that file is the point where the problem was when trying to update.

Thanks Madeline, Janeybug and Bigfoot!

#11 Jersey Jeepster

Jersey Jeepster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

This might seem like a dumb question, but if I uninstall the program, will I lose it? I bought this app for 3 bucks and I wouldn't want to lose it and have to purchase it again.

So, if I uninstall the app and go through the steps listed here, is the app still on my phone and can it simply be installed again?

#12 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2012 - 03:56 PM

No, you won't lose it. Once you purchase an app it is yours. So if you, say for instance lose your phone or get a new one you can just go to iTunes and download it again. Same with installation issues. Once you delete it you can just download it again and hopefully that will solve your issues. Do let us know.

#13 Jersey Jeepster

Jersey Jeepster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:33 PM

No, you won't lose it. Once you purchase an app it is yours. So if you, say for instance lose your phone or get a new one you can just go to iTunes and download it again. Same with installation issues. Once you delete it you can just download it again and hopefully that will solve your issues. Do let us know.

I purchased the iBird Pro 2 app through Google Play. If I uninstall the app and I lose it from my phone, I can just go to Google Play and download it again for free without any questions asked? That seems strange to me.

#14 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 6,314 posts

Posted 05 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Jersey

I will redirect this to Admin, but Jane is the Systems Editor of these Applications. Unless there is some information that she is not considering, what she says is correct.

Bigfoot

#15 mikeh727

mikeh727

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 01:52 AM

I purchased the iBird Pro 2 app through Google Play. If I uninstall the app and I lose it from my phone, I can just go to Google Play and download it again for free without any questions asked? That seems strange to me.

That's the way it worked for me. It knew that I had already purchased the app and all I had to do was hit install. No extra charges.

#16 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:28 AM

Feel free to read the FAQ's at Google Play to ease your mind.

Retrieving previously purchased applications

Your application purchases are tied to your Google Account and can be installed an unlimited amount of times on any device. So, for example, if you remove "My Favorite Game" to save memory, you can reinstall it at a later date with no charge by simply visiting My Apps. You can also re-install apps from play.google.com from the My Android Apps section.
If you are being asked to purchase an application you have already purchased on Google Play on an existing or previous device, you might be using a different account than the one you were using at the time you made your purchase. Because the application is associated with a different Google Account, you are being charged to purchase it again. Additionally, if you are missing certain apps (free or paid), they might be registered under a different Google account. Fortunately, you can recover access to these apps by simply switching the account you’re currently signed into on Google Play.
The process to switch your account is dependant on the version of the Google Play Store app you’re currently using. You can find out which version of the Google Play Store app you’re using by going to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All, and selecting Play Store. The version is listed under the Play Store title. (On Android 2.1 or lower, you might need to select Menu > Filter > All to find the listing for the Google Play Store app)

#17 Jersey Jeepster

Jersey Jeepster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Thank you Janey, Mike, Bigfoot, and all others. I uninstalled the app and downloaded Astro to search the iBird file and delete it from the SD card. I then went to Google Play and, sure enough, I was able to just download and install the app again without a prompt for payment. The app was labeled as "Already purchased" in Google Play.

I opened the app and now it is downloading the update. It looks like a lot of data and it might take an hour or two at the rate it is downloading. But the problem seems to be solved.

Thanks again.

#18 Jersey Jeepster

Jersey Jeepster

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

Well, it's now almost 2-hours since the download started and the progress is only at 30%. Should the download take this long? My phone is connected to my home wifi, but this whole download looks like it will take 6 or 7 hours!

That is ridiculous.

#19 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:13 PM

Hello all, I have iBird Pro 2 installed on my Motorola Droid 3 and it had been working just fine. Today it wanted to update and went through the process of verifying files until it hit 96% and it crashed, giving me the option to force close or report. It did this several times after selecting force close. I also reported the problem. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app and it still does the same thing at 96%. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Mike from what we can tell about the Droid series the CPU memory is smaller than many of the other devices. So we suggest you remove as many background processes and apps that are running in the background and try to get iBird installed first. Once its working try reinstall or re-enabling other apps until you run into trouble. Hope this helps.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

#20 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:24 PM

Well, it's now almost 2-hours since the download started and the progress is only at 30%. Should the download take this long? My phone is connected to my home wifi, but this whole download looks like it will take 6 or 7 hours! That is ridiculous.

• The time it takes to install a 600 MB app like iBird Pro depends on several variables including:
  • the version of your Android OS
  • the bandwidth of your WiFi
  • the type of CPU you device uses (single core, dual core, quad core, etc.)
  • the amount of CPU RAM available (128MB, 256MB, 512MB)
  • the speed and quality of the WiFi radio
We see a huge range of these parameters in the Android ecology such that installs can take as long as several hours to as short as 20 minutes. As developers we have no control over these parameters. Yet we are expected to make sure our app works on over 1600 different Android tablets and smartphones. Perhaps this will help you appreciate how difficult a task this is.

Further each manufacturer is free to customize the Android OS and in doing so they often create a nightmare for developers. We do the best we can but with so many variables sometimes iBird will just not work on certain devices. Most customers can't appreciate this and just expect it to work and when it doesn't it's the developer they decide is at fault. I guess that is basic human nature.

When we can't get our app to work on certain devices we offer a full refund. That seems like the fair thing to do.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users