Dave123WV

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:35 AM

Greetings,

We have a new Canon Rebel T3 camera that we are getting used to n' learning how to use.

We are considering getting the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens. We are thinking of this lens because it is equivalent to a focal length of 88-400mm in the 35mm format, the image stabilizer effect is equivalent to a shutter speed about 4 stops faster than the same size lens without Image Stabilizer, and the affordable price!
We have the EFS 18-55mm IS lens and a good tripod.

Is it best to shoot with a certain ISO or Aperture? Is Full Auto sufficient?

Anyone with experience that can give some advice on this stuff?

Thank you in advance
Dave

#2 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

We have a new Canon Rebel T3 camera that we are getting used to n' learning how to use. We are considering getting the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS II Telephoto Zoom Lens. ... and the affordable price!
Is it best to shoot with a certain ISO or Aperture? Is Full Auto sufficient?

Even though the T3 is an 'entry level' DSLR it is still capable enough. And the Canon 55-250mm is a reasonable compliment to that camera, as you say, at an affordable price.
The 55-250 is about as usable as many most (non-L) 70-300mm lenses since they drop off in quality beyond 250mm anyway!

To get the most from that camera and lens combo I would suggest:
  • stop the lens down to about f6.3 or f8 if you have ample good light
  • so then you would use Av, aperture priority
  • the ISO is good to about 800 so I would suggest staying below ISO 1600 (if you 'just' want an image, and are less concerned about quality, you could use ISO 1600)
  • the objective for almost all bird photography is to get a high shutter speed; using the above settings should give you that
  • the real key to good results is good light (and many have to learn what that actually is)
Yes, the 55-250mm will give you a reach of a 400mm EQ, but that is actually at the bare minimum for most bird photography. Getting close to your subject can make an amazing difference.
I have seen some superb bird images taken with that lens, so it can be done! And although your camera does not have a high fps rate, in my opinion that is not necessary, even for BIF images.

Oh, and make sure you get a lens hood (extra) for that lens at the same time. It's essential equipment as far as I'm concerned; a non-Canon one is just fine).

enjoy :)

#3 Dave123WV

Dave123WV

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thank you, I really appreciate the info. Very helpful knowing to use Av f6.3 or f8 and that a telephoto bigger than 55-250mm the quality drops off! Funny how inexpensive a hood lens is yet how essential it is.

Happy Birding! :)

#4 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 05 August 2012 - 12:22 AM

and that a telephoto bigger than 55-250mm the quality drops off..............

To be more specific, lenses like Canon's 70-300 (non-L) are quite good, but beyond 250mm the difference in results from the 55-250mm and that lens are quite minimal. And the cost difference is about $300. This would apply to other maker's lenses in the same price range of $200-500.

The Canon L lenses are very good; the ideal birding lens is the 400L, at about $1300. Their 70-200L lenses are superb, but it's still 'only' 200mm (x 1.6 factor), unless you add a Teleconverter, and the cost goes up even more!

#5 Dave123WV

Dave123WV

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thank you for the input!
We got the Canon EF-S 55-250 with IS for only about $200 and it's doing a great job for me and I'm slowly learning how this camera works.... lots of great features and I'm having FUN getting back into photography - last I was into it I think I had a Rebel X film camera!

This should keep me going for awhile :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users