• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhrich1

dhrich1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 11:38 AM

I live in Jacksonville, Fl bordered on 3 sides by houses and a small area of woods with a small stream in the back.

Sorry these are the best shots I can get.

This bird was perched on the conduit for a floodlight under my awning. I cannot get a shot of his head. The two better shots are of its tail and back. The third and poorest quality shot is of its front/belly which appears tan with no spots/markings. These pictures were taken at night with floodlight on and no flash. When I turned the light out and used a flash the bird flew away. The base for the floodlight is 4 inches in diameter and the conduit is 1 inch in diameter.

We often see Red Tails and Red Shoulder Hawks and have Barred Owls and Eastern Screech Owls as well.

I am leaning toward a fledgling Red Tailed Hawk.

I appreciate any help in identifying it that you can provide.

Regards

Dave
Attached File  P1020091.jpg   52.61KB   55 downloadsAttached File  P1020092.jpg   56.6KB   63 downloadsAttached File  P1020095.jpg   60.27KB   34 downloads

#2 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 04 August 2012 - 04:34 PM

With that small of a size, (hawks fledge at full size) and that tail, I'm leaning towards a Carolina Wren, actually.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 179

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 144

#3 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,008 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:02 PM

Yes, it's a Carolina wren. A fledgling hawk is pretty much the same size as an adult hawk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users