#1 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationSailing Up The West Coast Of Mexico

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:12 AM

I didn't see a place to discuss migration, but I thought I'd say I saw a Red-eyed Vireo here in Central Panama on the 8th. Seemed a little early.
Sue

#2 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11271 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:41 AM

I am seeing less of REVs. . . . wouldn't surprise me if some have migrated.

ABA list: 381 Latest- Glaucous Gull
Yearlist: 173 Latest- White-throated Swift
Yard List- 96 latest: White-throated Swift
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#3 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3621 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 12 August 2012 - 02:46 AM

I remember the other day someone on the forum from Texas was already seeing yellow warblers. Makes me wonder if the birds know something we don't know? Are they migrating early because they came up earlier this year because of the mild weather? Or do they know it's going to be a bear of a winter, and they're getting the heck out of dodge?

My dad said the summer I was born was super hot and dry like this one has been, and that the winter following it was a nasty one.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 162

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 65
2014 so far: 102

#4 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2848 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:02 AM

i had lots of Bullocks orioles here early this spring and they nested earlier than usual. they also fledged their young earlier and i had at least a dozen or more young ones but the males left out back in late july and both the females and the young ones have been gone for over a week already.

#5 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:25 AM

My husband saw his first Ruby-throat this week in Central Texas, but I see no sign mine are leaving. In fact I have never seen as many as I have this year. I also saw a family(?) of 5 REV flipping in the leaves, so mine are still here (North Central Massachusetts). Just a thought but maybe they are leaving the drought areas early?

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#6 illin

illin

illin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1091 posts
  • LocationSouth-central Illinois

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:48 AM

Migration is in full swing here in Illinois. I have seen several reports of 10+ warbler species days in the last week or so. Shorebirds have been moving for a couple weeks. Teal are starting to come through.

I eBird, do YOU? www.ebird.org

#7 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

We're starting to get all kinds of cool birds coming through San Diego now. I'm waiting for Folkeye's Black-and-white Warbler to show up here soon. ;)
Creationist Birder

#8 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:20 AM

I've had a B & W warbler in my yard all week. She even used my birdbath, but I am in their normal range.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#9 I'm a believer.

I'm a believer.

Save Endagered Birds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 22 August 2012 - 09:55 PM

We're starting to get all kinds of cool birds coming through San Diego now. I'm waiting for Folkeye's Black-and-white Warbler to show up here soon. ;)

I didn't expect the black and white warbler to be so pretty because black and white are plain and kind of boring colours but the Black and White Warbler is acually really pretty.

Profile Pic photos come from these sites:

1- http://perierga.gr/2...των-ηφαιστείων/

2- http://www.allaboutb...e.aspx?pid=2267

Life List: 317

recent lifers: Sanderling, Sandhill Crane, Winter Wren, Cliff Swallow, Snow Bunting, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike

coolest lifers: Yellow-bellied Elaenia, Sandhill Crane, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Black Skimmer, American Flamingo, Spruce Grouse, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike, Hepatic Tanager

Ontario List: 175

Mexico List: 110 (final count)

Costa Rica List: 27

2014 Yearlist: 82

coolest yearbirds so far: Common Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck, Iceland Gull, Peregrine Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker, Snowy Owl

Spoiler

"Birds are the most accomplished aeronauts the world has ever seen. They fly high and low, at great speed, and very slowly. And always with extraordinary precision and control."

— David Attenborough

Spoiler

My Goals for this year (in spoiler):

Spoiler

#10 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:39 PM

Just in from an early morning walk. I left at 7:00--got back around 9:30. I saw a Prothonatory Warbler and an American Redstart. I need to do some reading to see if it is the norm for them to be in Panama so early. I have not been here in August or early Septmeber before, so maybe this is the usual time. Also this week Spotted Sandpiper and Yellow Warbler.

#11 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Oh, man, I can't wait for all these guys to get down here!!!

Latest lifers: 17 from the Christmas Bird Count in Petén, including Tody Motmot, White-Whiskered Puffbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, and Black and White Owl. From the Christmas Bird Count in Antigua Guatemala, three: Mexican Whippoorwill, Hermit Warbler, and Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher.

#12 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:12 PM

Oh, man, I can't wait for all these guys to get down here!!!

Hi Helen,
I'm in Fort Sherman, Panama (across Limon Bay from Colon); I think these birds will have passed you already. Maybe this batch skipped you? I don't know what the migration pattern is. Maybe they flew across the Gulf of Mexcio, across the Yucatan straight to Belize, across Bahia Amatique, and to Honduras? Oh no, more to read about!!! :lol:
Sue

#13 Aveschapines

Aveschapines

Helen - la pajarera fantástica

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3145 posts
  • LocationQuetzaltenango, Guatemala

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi Helen,
I'm in Fort Sherman, Panama (across Limon Bay from Colon); I think these birds will have passed you already. Maybe this batch skipped you? I don't know what the migration pattern is. Maybe they flew across the Gulf of Mexcio, across the Yucatan straight to Belize, across Bahia Amatique, and to Honduras? Oh no, more to read about!!! :lol:
Sue

No, I don't think so; they must be different individuals. I have Black and White, Yellow, Townsend's, Wilson's, Magnolia, Yellow-Rumped, and Tennessee Warblers, along with Baltimore Orioles, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks,Wood-Pewees, and American Kestrels around my house all winter. American Redstarts winter in lower areas. I also get a bunch of Ruby-Throated Hummingbirds and a few Yellow-Billed Cuckoos passing through in the fall, but the Cuckoos go farther south and the Rubies prefer to winter at lower elevations. I occasionally see Yellow-Breasted Chats and Eastern Towhees near my house too. I thought for a second I had seen a warbler yesterday, but it was just a Rufous-Collared Sparrow!

Latest lifers: 17 from the Christmas Bird Count in Petén, including Tody Motmot, White-Whiskered Puffbird, Ladderback Woodpecker, and Black and White Owl. From the Christmas Bird Count in Antigua Guatemala, three: Mexican Whippoorwill, Hermit Warbler, and Yellow-Bellied Flycatcher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users