#1 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:42 PM

North Central Massachusetts in a yard near a river. There were at least 10 Eastern Kingbirds flying around, and at least 1 smaller flycatcher. These two I just can't get to match anything. The closest I can get is a juvenile Brown-headed Cowbird, or female Red-Winged Blackbird, but the yellow lower belly is confusing and it does not look like my other Juvie Cowbird pic Posted Image and Posted Image. This I am guessing is a Baltimore Oriole juvie or female? Posted Imageand this is the smaller flycatcher as taken and enhanced by lightening midtones Posted Image and Posted Image

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#2 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2823 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:45 PM

swamp sparrow american goldfinch and pheobe

Yard list 140
Bird lifers 369
Birds in Peru 90
Birds in the U.S. 294
Latest- Bachman's Sparrow, Ross's Goose, Barn Owl, American Tree Sparrow, Eared Grebe
Butterfly lifers- 68
Latest- Long-tailed Skipper, Palmades Swallowtail, Gulf Fritillary, Baltimore Checkerspot, Meadow Fritillary
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 17
Latest- Great Blue Skimmer, Powdered Dancer, Ebony Jewelwing, Halloween Pennant, Black Saddleback
Year list- 188
Latest- Magnolia Warbler

#3 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20764 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:46 PM

1. Juvenile sparrow species, probably Song
2. American Goldfinch, orioles have much thinner bills
3. Empidonax flycatcher sps, eyering rules out Phoebe

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#4 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:31 AM

I can't believe I messed up the goldfinch. I feed them all day in my yard! There were so many birds there and I took so many pictures ( and I have seen BO most summers at her house) that I was thinking this was a larger bird when I went back and looked at the pictures. I thought the flycatcher was likely an empid...I am guessing Least as I had iBirds with me and that was the only sound I was hearing of the flycatchers it said would be here, Do any of the sparrows have that wash of yellow on the lower belly? I have some mostly under backshots as well if they would help ID, but the yellow is consistant.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#5 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12090 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:44 AM

Least for me on the last flycatcher, based on the bold eye-ring and smallish bill. Not 100% on that. Juvie sparrow looks like a Song to me, which can show a little bit of yellowish/tan wash.

Life List: 675

Latest birds:  Barn Owl, Glaucous Gull, Great Cormorant

ABA 2014: 187 species
Isle of Wight County 2014: 147 species

My Flickr
eBird

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#6 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Thanks, I couldn't find any info on the yellowish underbelly so I appreciate your input. Song is not a new bird for me, but the Least would be. Do people count empids since they are so hard to tell apart? I don't know the sounds well enough to judge, just used the iBirds, but I have found some birds sound different to me than what is on there. My face is still red on the Goldfinch!!! The Eastern Kingbirds were not new for me either, but seeing so many at once was really awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users