Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:58 PM

Hey all!

Easy answer is Carolina Chickadee but this one is contrastier and with much more buff on its sides then the Carolinas I normally see around here. That being said, this was taken in Baltimore County, Maryland 8.23.12. And am I seeing a band on this guys leg?

Posted Image
DSC_5800 by BadBirds, on Flickr

Posted Image
DSC_5798 by BadBirds, on Flickr

Thanks!

Benjamin

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: “The most dangerous risk of all– the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” — Randy Komisar

Life List: 291 ** ABA 2014: 85 ** Maryland Life: 237 ** Maryland 2014: 85 ** Baltimore Life: 184 ** Baltimore 2014: 54 ** Delaware Life: 140

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7466 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

You really wouldn't se a black-capped around here this time of year, so I'd say Carolina. It does have a lot of white on the wing, but I'd still say Carolina.

#3 I'm a believer.

I'm a believer.

Save Endagered Birds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3699 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:01 AM

Yes, you are seing a band on its leg. I am not sure what the band is for, I dont think it make sense for it to be tagged. It seems to be a Black Capped Chickadee, which are very common in my area.

Profile Pic photos come from these sites:

1- http://perierga.gr/2...των-ηφαιστείων/

2- http://www.allaboutb...e.aspx?pid=2267

Life List: 317

recent lifers: Sanderling, Sandhill Crane, Winter Wren, Cliff Swallow, Snow Bunting, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike

coolest lifers: Yellow-bellied Elaenia, Sandhill Crane, Ladder-backed Woodpecker, Black Skimmer, American Flamingo, Spruce Grouse, Harlequin Duck, Northern Shrike, Hepatic Tanager

Ontario List: 175

Mexico List: 110 (final count)

Costa Rica List: 27

2014 Yearlist: 82

coolest yearbirds so far: Common Goldeneye, Harlequin Duck, Iceland Gull, Peregrine Falcon, Pileated Woodpecker, Snowy Owl

Spoiler

"Birds are the most accomplished aeronauts the world has ever seen. They fly high and low, at great speed, and very slowly. And always with extraordinary precision and control."

— David Attenborough

Spoiler

My Goals for this year (in spoiler):

Spoiler

#4 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7466 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:09 AM

Black-capped are only in the Baltimore area in the winter, and even then, they are few.

#5 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20743 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:23 AM

The tag is for research purposes. If you can get a clear shot of the code on the band, you can get a definite ID.

However, I too agree with Carolina for the reasons already stated by ^those folks.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#6 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:26 AM

Ok, I knew a Black-capped didn't belong here but it sure looks like one to me. Thought I'd call in for some experience before reporting it to eBird and adding to my life list...

Thanks!

Benjamin

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: “The most dangerous risk of all– the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.” — Randy Komisar

Life List: 291 ** ABA 2014: 85 ** Maryland Life: 237 ** Maryland 2014: 85 ** Baltimore Life: 184 ** Baltimore 2014: 54 ** Delaware Life: 140

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#7 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12014 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I don't think there is enough here to call it a Black-Capped. I'd expect to see more of the distinct "hockey stick" wing pattern. A shot of the throat would help clinch it though. As stated, it would be quite the rare find for Baltimore.

Life List: 675

Latest birds:  Barn Owl, Glaucous Gull, Great Cormorant

ABA 2014: 184 species
Isle of Wight County 2014: 142 species

My Flickr
eBird

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#8 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1852 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

Well, just for my own piece of mind I will post the best shot I have of his throat. Unfortunately it was one of the frames where my flash was recycling. I only got 5 frames of this guy total...

Posted Image
DSC_5799 by BadBirds, on Flickr

I am at peace with it being a Carolina, but would love it to be more!

Benjamin

#9 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14005 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:30 PM

I agree, Carolina. The white in the wing is often misunderstood -- what you're looking for is white on the secondary coverts. The secondaries themselves will often have white on the edges in Carolinas, especially when the plumage is fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users