#1 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:02 AM

Here are a few rather abstract shots of a Great Egret landing on some branches over the water at Delta Ponds here in Eugene. I was interested in the way the form of the bird interacted with the almost geometric forms of the branches and their reflections in the water. These were taken late Wednesday morning on 8/22/2012. Post processing was done in Lightroom 4.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 jlk1987

jlk1987

jlk1987

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:33 AM

love the second pic, very nice

#3 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

Beautiful work, David.

thanks for sharing :)

#4 SPiercePhotography

SPiercePhotography

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:43 PM

i love the third- lovely!

#5 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:36 PM

love the second pic, very nice

Beautiful work, David.

thanks for sharing :)

i love the third- lovely!

Thanks everyone for your kind compliments. :)

#6 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:11 PM

David-

Looks like you got excellent focus in all of the shots!

Could just be my monitor, but all four shots appear to be underexposed to me. I fully appreciate that Great Egrets are a very tough bird to exposure properly, and I'd also wager that you had some tough light to deal with. The sun facing side of the bird in all the images appear to be a little 'hot', while the shaded side is underexposed (at least to me).

Have you experimented with fill flash and/or a better beamer?

#7 David Case

David Case

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

David-

Looks like you got excellent focus in all of the shots!

Could just be my monitor, but all four shots appear to be underexposed to me. I fully appreciate that Great Egrets are a very tough bird to exposure properly, and I'd also wager that you had some tough light to deal with. The sun facing side of the bird in all the images appear to be a little 'hot', while the shaded side is underexposed (at least to me).

Have you experimented with fill flash and/or a better beamer?

Yes, the first few shots I took (including the first two shots of my post) were underexposed by about a stop. These were shot in shutter priority [1/2000, spot metering]. Looking at the originals I could push the exposure up around a stop before clipping started to happen on the hot areas of the bird. After that I switched to aperture priority with evaluative metering (the second two shots of the post) so that brought the exposure levels up since the camera was taking the background into account. For these clipping starts to happen if I push the exposure 1/3 stop. The background still appears a bit dark but the exposure on the egret was about right. You are correct that the lighting was a bit harsh. (As an aside I did a lot of post processing on these images, such as adding graduated filters, so the lighting is not natural in the posted images.) It was about 11:15 a.m. and the sun was getting high in the sky and I was shooting from above the bird. I was too far away for fill flash to do any good. Thanks for the tip on the Better Beamer. I hadn't heard of those before and they sound like just the ticket for this kind of situation.

Edit: I have just ordered a Better Beamer so I will be able to try it out in a few days. :)

#8 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

Excellent! They're a life saver in some situations. Make sure you read the directions CAREFULLY before you put the velco on your flash head....I screwed mine up and didn't realize it for months! :rolleyes:

#9 canon eos

canon eos

canon eos

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location1000 Islands area, Ontario Canada

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:09 PM

David and Joe, it would be interesting if you guys can post some info, at a later date, about your experiences using the Better Beamer.

#10 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,172 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

David and Joe, it would be interesting if you guys can post some info, at a later date, about your experiences using the Better Beamer.

Whatcha wanna know? I've had mine for over a year, and feel like I can do a decent job on giving out some info on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users