• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RustyE

RustyE

Hooked on Birds, Who knew?!?

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationNortheast Texas (Kaufman County)

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:17 PM

Northeast Texas (Kaufman County)

Taken yesterday, I'm 99 percent sure I have this ID right. Not the greatest picture as my camera could not reach that far and I used some digital zoom.

Posted Image

RustyE
Lifers 113
2014 Lifers: White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Grosbeak, Mississippi Kite, Purple Martin, Field Sparrow, Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Orange-crowned Warbler, Glaucous-winged Gull, Eurasian Collared-Dove

My Flickr

5b0b02cc-ac80-4c27-8994-f0193968e129_zps

#2 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,144 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:28 PM

Looks good. I don't know if I could completely rule out an immature Little Blue Heron from this shot.

#3 RustyE

RustyE

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Ah, I had not even thought of that. I looked through some of the other pictures and not once did any of them have a foot shot. One had a spot of black on the tail, but it was standing on one leg and I could have been seeing it's leg and not a juve tail of a LBH. I was taking a shot of a Great Egret and he's in the foreground.

What you think?

Posted Image

RustyE
Lifers 113
2014 Lifers: White-breasted Nuthatch, Blue Grosbeak, Mississippi Kite, Purple Martin, Field Sparrow, Black-bellied Whistling Duck, Orange-crowned Warbler, Glaucous-winged Gull, Eurasian Collared-Dove

My Flickr

#4 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 02 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I would be willing to rule out Little Blue and say yes this is a Snowy. The legs look too dark, the bill seems too uniformly dark, and I am seeing a crest tuft off the back of the head where a Little Blue would be completely smooth. That's how I see it.

Benjamin

Edit: Forget what I said about the bill, neither bird should be completely dark in the bill... However I do still think its a Snowy.

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#5 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,144 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

Looking at that last photo, I see a Great Egret in the background, a Snowy Egret on the right, and what may be a young Little Blue in the foreground (based on what appears to be dark tips to the primaries).

#6 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:50 AM

Pretty certain the first bird is a Snowy. In addition to Benjamin's points, this bird appears to have yellow skin in front of the eye and possibly some leftover breeding plumes.

Life List: 685

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 310 species
Virginia 2014: 227
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:16 AM

But the legs don't look black.

#8 RustyE

RustyE

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Ok, here is the same bird in the second photo but in this one he is turned to the side and I see no black in the feathers, so I'm still thinking Snowy. If looking carefully, I think you can see the right leg raised and the feet look black too.

Posted Image

RustyE
Lifers 113

My Flickr

#9 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

The legs look greenish to me when I enlarge it. Also, a snowy wouldn't have black feet.

#10 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

The bill looks bi-colored in the first photo, which would suggest immature Little Blue Heron. Did you see any feeding behavior?

#11 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 03 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

The legs look greenish to me when I enlarge it. Also, a snowy wouldn't have black feet.

Agreed, if the feet aren't bright yellow it must be a LBH. I'll defer to Barn Swallow and her enlargement on the leg color :) (They looked black to me in the tiny version!)

Life List: 685

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 310 species
Virginia 2014: 227
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#12 Doug Herr

Doug Herr

Doug Herr

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 711 posts
  • LocationSacramento County

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

Yellow feet would clearly point toward Snowy Egret but feet can be covered by mud so a lack of yellow isn't always a good field mark especially with a distant photo like this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users