#1 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • LocationAmerican Canyon, CA

Posted 02 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

I looked for another thread on this topic and didn't come up with one... though I've seen people asking about it on, like, the FAQ page.

What can be done about moving iBird Pro's gigantic database to our real SD cards instead of the internal storage that my phone calls "SD"? My phone comes with less than two gigs there. It was a real challenge to get iBird Pro to install -- I had to move tons of stuff back into app storage, delete temporary crap, and uninstall apps that weren't worth it. My phone is pretty darn cramped by having both this app and a no-internet navigation app on it.

On my actual SD card, meanwhile, I have vast amounts of space if I just thin out my music library a bit, which is duplicated in cloud storage anyway.

On mine the card is mounted as /mnt/sdcard/external_sd. I suspect this is typical of Samsung models. Other brands have different paths. I guess there's no way to automate all the correct points to mount (though maybe it's possible to do some kind of mounted-device scan?), but one could certainly offer the option of manually selecting a path. You could build in a little list of the commonest alternate paths, see which is present on the phone, and offer it as a suggestion when the user goes to that menu option.

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:35 PM

I'll forward this question to Admin.

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#3 akillenb

akillenb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Please make this a priority, or provide a solution.

#4 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Paul you can find free apps in the Google Play store that have names like move2SD. Then do the moving of apps from the regular memory to an SD Card. You can also move them yourself by going to settings-manage apps-iBird Pro and seeing if the Move to SD card button is enabled. If it is not then you move2SD apps won't be able to help.

What Android devices you can move to SD cards are not controlled by the developer, they are controlled by the OS and the manufacturer of the device itself. The newer devices with SD Cards and jellybean all seem able to move to SD and often just store in real SD directly.

Good luck.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

#5 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

goofy166, you're not understanding the problem. The app is already "moved to SD". If it wasn't, it wouldn't be able to fit in my phone at all. But what it thinks is the SD is not the actual SD card.

#6 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:13 PM

You may have an early version of iBird that used copyright protection which would not allow the app to be moved to an SD Card. The newest version does. If you would like to try out our beta which has a brand new installer that is easier to use send an email to support at ibird dot com with the words "beta test ibird for android" in the subject field.
Mitchell Waite
Sausalito CA 94941

#7 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:48 AM

I repeat: the app is "moved to SD"! It's just that what it thinks is "SD" is not in fact the actual external memory card.

#8 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:00 AM

I repeat: the app is "moved to SD"! It's just that what it thinks is "SD" is not in fact the actual external memory card.

Paul

Please... Being Aggressive here is not going to get your issue resolved.

I will forward your issue to the Support Group, and thanks for posting.

Bigfoot

#9 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1960 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Please contact our support page at iBird.com and submit your problem there. This forum is not the right place for dealing with problems with these kinds of issues.
Mitchell Waite
Sausalito CA 94941

#10 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

"Aggressive"? For using one exclamation point?

#11 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:20 AM

"Aggressive"? For using one exclamation point?

I think that your apparent tone is aggressive, If I'm incorrect then I'm sorry. Please take your case to the support page at iBird, perhaps they can resolve your issue.

Bigfoot

#12 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am now signed up to be a beta tester for the app... no new version has come through yet.

I only have two large apps on my phone: this, and a no-internet GPS navigator. This morning my internal storage ran out of room. I deleted a few cached podcasts, but that didn't open up much space. I think one of those two apps is going to have to go.

#13 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Paul, just because you signed up for Beta, does not mean that you will immediately be sent a version. The Beta's are all sent out to all the testers at the same time. They do not send to one at a time testers. Mitch said that the new beta was almost ready, so soon perhaps.

You will also need to register your device, which is part of the Beta sequence.

Bigfoot

#14 ArgentSilver

ArgentSilver

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I would add my voice to request a fix for this problem. Many phones/tablets have an area of internal memory at mnt/sdcard, but this is NOT the actual external sd card. Your app loads itself to this internal memory, which is usually fairly small. As the previous poster said, on my device the external sd card is mounted as mnt/sdcard/external_sd. Your app needs the option to manually set the directory location of its database.

My device has a little more space (5GB) in this internal memory than the previous poster, but your app takes 639MB of that. It really needs to be relocated to the 32GB external sd card. If there is any way to do that, please let us know. Thanks.

#15 Cactusman

Cactusman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

On my Samsung Galaxy android tablet, neither the iBird app nor the iBird database can be moved to the external (removable, large-capacity) SD card. A growing number of other apps, even though they must be installed on the internal SD card, provide an option of specifying where their data should reside, and for these apps I can specify the external SD card. Examples are the Slovoed and ABBYY foreign language dictionaries; the option to store huge backup files on the external SD is also present in Titanium Backup. Such a feature would be invaluable to me. Thanks!

#16 Cactusman

Cactusman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Correction to my last post: replace ABBYY with Quickdic.

#17 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

Thanks for your comments here Cactusman, and welcome to Whatbird.

Bigfoot
Whatbird Moderator

#18 BigRedBirder

BigRedBirder

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:31 PM

On my Samsung Galaxy android tablet, neither the iBird app nor the iBird database can be moved to the external (removable, large-capacity) SD card. A growing number of other apps, even though they must be installed on the internal SD card, provide an option of specifying where their data should reside, and for these apps I can specify the external SD card. Examples are the Slovoed and ABBYY foreign language dictionaries; the option to store huge backup files on the external SD is also present in Titanium Backup. Such a feature would be invaluable to me. Thanks!

Oh yes, me too! I've communicated with the helpdesk about this. I can even move the database to the external SD card manually (after internal installation), and the app would just need a setting to point to it there when processing.

#19 paulkienitz

paulkienitz

paulkienitz

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:39 AM

Yay, ibird 3 is out! But boo, it's now so large that I can't even download the update, let alone get it running.

There would probably be a perfectly usable workaround for getting it installed, if only it could keep the database on the external sd, where there's unlimited space.

#20 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

• Administrators
  • 5060 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:33 PM

Yay, ibird 3 is out! But boo, it's now so large that I can't even download the update, let alone get it running.

There would probably be a perfectly usable workaround for getting it installed, if only it could keep the database on the external sd, where there's unlimited space.

Rest assured that the team is working to resolve the update issue.

Bigfoot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users