#1 syncrasy

syncrasy

syncrasy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • LocationNortheastern Illinois

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:24 AM

The first bird is a warbler, yellow-green above, light below, white wing bars. The second bird appeared to be a vireo with yellow spectacles. Lousy pics, but perhaps someone can help narrow down the ID. Thanks.

#1:
Posted Image

#2:
Posted Image

#2 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11230 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:31 AM

Maybe Blackpoll Warbler, and Tufted Titmouse...

ABA list: 381 Latest- Glaucous Gull
Yearlist: 173 Latest- White-throated Swift
Yard List- 96 latest: White-throated Swift
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  My whatbird gallery(thanks for 4500+ views!)- http://www.whatbird....pics-with-sx40/

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch Subscribe to me on YouTube! (if you feel like it)

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#3 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14063 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

The first one looks like a Blackpoll, the second one a Yellow-throated Vireo.

#4 syncrasy

syncrasy

syncrasy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 02:51 AM

Thanks guys. I was leaning toward Blackpoll and Y-T Vireo but I couldn't see the warbler's legs and only got a fleeting look at the vireo.

#5 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12066 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Not positive on the first bird (tough to rule out Pine without a shot of the back and legs) but I'd lean Blackpoll. Second is definitely a Yellow-throated Vireo.

Life List: 675

Latest birds:  Barn Owl, Glaucous Gull, Great Cormorant

ABA 2014: 184 species
Isle of Wight County 2014: 142 species

My Flickr
eBird

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#6 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14063 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:14 PM

The tail's too short for a Pine Warbler on that first bird.

#7 johnnybirder

johnnybirder

johnnybirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:21 PM

Second bird can't be a Yellow-throated Vireo because this bird has all yellow on the under belly but in the sibley it shows yellow until the chest. My first thought for the bird was a White-eyed Vireo. Agree with Blackpoll.
Latest Lifers: Western Grebe, Golden Eagle, Black-billed Cuckoo, Bay-breasted Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, Connecticut Warbler, Crested Caracara, Wilson's Plover, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and Elegant Tern.
Total Lifers: 321

#8 MWM

MWM

Mark W Miller

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationNortheast US

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thinking Pine Warbler for #1 (under tail not right for blackpoll, not sure on #2, too much yellow underneath for a YT Vireo (unless it's a lighting problem).

#9 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14063 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:00 PM

What's wrong with the undertail on #1? Pine's should have a longer, slimmer tail with shorter undertail coverts and smaller black spots than this, from what I can pick up in Dunn and Garrett.

#10 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14063 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:02 PM

I'll have to retract the YT Vireo on #2, based on the amount of yellow (good call, johnnybirder) -- how about juvenile Kentucky Warbler?

#11 blackburnian

blackburnian

13 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts
  • Locationcentral NC

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:47 PM

id say blackpoll and juvie white eyed vireo

Ryan

ABA: 271

#12 Liam

Liam

Osprey Fanatic

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 20753 posts
  • LocationHephzibah, GA

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:18 PM

Second bird can't be a Yellow-throated Vireo because this bird has all yellow on the under belly but in the sibley it shows yellow until the chest. My first thought for the bird was a White-eyed Vireo. Agree with Blackpoll.

id say blackpoll and juvie white eyed vireo

I agree. Second bird looks great for juvenile White-eyed Vireo: gray head with conspicuous yellow spectacles. Looks just like all the young WEVIs I see.

4riN89X.png Liam
Flickr | Blog
eBird needs your sightings!

#13 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7003 posts
  • LocationNJ Shore

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:52 PM

Hey Liam... wheres the love for Johnnybirder? J/K :P

I hear he has a good teacher! :lol:
Life list: 370 Latest: Wilson's Plover, Lark Sparrow, Elegant Tern, Northern Lapwing, King Rail, Snail Kite, Bachman's Sparrow, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bronzed Cowbird, Purple Swamphen, Short-tailed Hawk, White-crowned Pigeon, Common Myna, :D Red-whiskered Bulbul! :D and LaSagra's Flycatcher

#14 syncrasy

syncrasy

syncrasy

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:57 AM

Thanks for the additional input. For #1, how would Bay-breasted be eliminated? For #2, I wasn't aware that immature White-eyed Vireos have dark irises (and I'm not near my field guides), but W-E Vireo is consistent with my memory of the GISS of the bird. Having said that, I am uncertain about the true coloring of the underparts or the extent of yellow; underexposed or backlit areas often appear yellow in my photos. I'm only certain that the spectacles were distinctly yellow.

#15 birdbrain22

birdbrain22

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7003 posts
  • LocationNJ Shore

Posted 06 September 2012 - 02:08 AM

Thanks for the additional input. For #1, how would Bay-breasted be eliminated? For #2, I wasn't aware that immature White-eyed Vireos have dark irises (and I'm not near my field guides), but W-E Vireo is consistent with my memory of the GISS of the bird. Having said that, I am uncertain about the true coloring of the underparts or the extent of yellow; underexposed areas often appear yellow in my photos. I'm only certain that the spectacles were distinctly yellow.

The undertail pattern for #1 eliminates Bay breasted. #2 Yes juvie WE Vireos have dark eyes and the darker/greyer colored head and yellowish undertail supports WE Vireo.
Life list: 370 Latest: Wilson's Plover, Lark Sparrow, Elegant Tern, Northern Lapwing, King Rail, Snail Kite, Bachman's Sparrow, Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Bronzed Cowbird, Purple Swamphen, Short-tailed Hawk, White-crowned Pigeon, Common Myna, :D Red-whiskered Bulbul! :D and LaSagra's Flycatcher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users