#1 DianeD

DianeD

DianeD

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

When I first put up my bird feeder, I wanted to add niger seed for the goldfinches. So I mixed it with the regular seed, and there were definitely more goldfinches when that was mixed in. But it falls out the holes. So I read where one can make a feeder from a soda bottle. It worked great! I used bamboo skewers as perches, and drilled holes. I couldn't decide just how high to put the holes, so a made several around the perches. It is hanging just next to my regular feeder, and frequented by the little goldfinches.

Posted Image
104_2886 by Twotonetuna22, on Flickr

#2 sailormom64

sailormom64

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

That is perfect! Going to try that myself, even though I have a few nyjer feeders, it seems I have more goldfinches that keep fussing over the feeders than I have ports to feed them at! What distance away from the skewers were the holes you drilled, and which ones do they seem to be able to reach the best?

#3 Chaseman

Chaseman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationLawrenceville, GA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

That is really a great idea, and one I would have never thought of. I am going to try this one too.

#4 DianeD

DianeD

DianeD

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

If you zoom in on the picture you can see the hole. I wasn't sure where to put them so I tried to picture the little guy standing on it and put the holes at "beak height". Then I put a couple more for good measure since I didn't know if they would like them straight above the perch or offset. I can't tell which they like.

I also put holes in the very bottom. I suspect once it starts to rain I'll have to clean/dry it regularly, but I thought drain holes couldn't hurt. I'm thinking I'll just make a couple more and then rotate them so I always have a dry one.

This has been more successful than my homemade suet, the melting temperature of which was well below a California summer temp... :-)

#5 cwj2323

cwj2323

Defender of the American Robin

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

I had forgotten that one of our children made this, but he didn't put skewers in it. He placed it in such a way that the birds stood on a branch and ate from it. That was several years ago and I suspect the wind was why we stopped using it. With any of our home made feeders we haven't figured out how to attach them to the tree without the wind blowing them off. We are out in the prairie.

Life list (non ABA)- 233

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler
Coolest: Audubon's Warbler and the ABA will not take that away from me!  :)

2014 year list-169
Yard list- 125

Latest: Blackburnian Warbler

#6 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

i have used the nyger socks for years but after first time noticed that they were scattering more than they ate. so tried putting an empty sock over the full one so they did not knock so much out. it helps a lots and they still flock to the socks but don't waste very much. mostly small finches and lots of pine siskins. also saw that they were eating the small millet seed so tried it in empty nyger socks and they hang on and eat the millet that way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users