Anna's Hummingbird

#2 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:09 PM

This illustration is outstanding, in fact I would give all your hummingbirds an Excellent rating.

#3 ides_omarch

ides_omarch

ides_omarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:56 PM

I have a story to tell, but, sadly, no pictures.

We are in the process of buy a new-to-us home in Tucson, AZ. The current owner moved out over a year ago and graciously allowed us to move some furniture into the house before the closing.

It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day a little over a week ago when the furniture guys were coming to make the delivery. We had the garage door open, the kitchen door and the door on the other side of the livingroom. Suddenly, a male Anna's humming bird dive bombed one of the delivery men. The bird then continued through the garage, kitchen, dining room and into the living room, where he headed for a clerestory window on the kitchen side of that room.

Up in the window, he chirped and buzzed as he tried to bully the glass into letting him out of the house. The velocity of his wings sent dust and lint down onto the livingroom's tile floor. When he could not convince the window to give way, he rested for a while and then began his bullying again.

After about 20 minutes of this, he decided to try the opposite window. Now this window was larger, and its bottom was just a foot above the open patio door. By now he was beginning to tire so there were no more chirps. He just concentrated on testing every inch of the window two or three times for a magic portal to the outside. He even turned around in a circle while hovering in one spot scoping out the scene.

Next, he tried the ceiling, which was bright with reflected light. Alas, he tried everywhere, but down. Finally, my husband got a couple of those spongy string mops out of the garage. He was going to try to capture the little guy between them, while standing on a chair beneath the window.

The hummer had a different idea about what that newly grown tree was for, however, and he quickly sat down upon one of the "branches." My husband carefully lowered the mop tree down, but the hummer, sensing the window disappearing took flight. This time it was "the fourth time is the charm" for that was when the hummer rode the mop all the way down and out the door.

He didn't stop to wave or say thank you as he flew off, though. Later on, I think I saw him chasing another hummer. Maybe he was just trying to tell him the story of his adventure! Posted Image

Ides 

#4 ides_omarch

ides_omarch

ides_omarch

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

I do not understand...where is the illustration?

#5 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:54 PM

Male Anna's

#6 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:06 PM

After Hatch Year Male                                                                                              Hatch Year Male

After Hatch Year Female                                                                                          Hatch Year Female

#7 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

Male Hatch Year

#8 zoutedrop

zoutedrop

zoutedrop

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,861 posts
  • LocationChandler, AZ

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:45 PM

Hatch Year Female

#9 Curlybird

Curlybird

Curlybird

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:43 AM

Fantastic shots, Matt, and thanks for the information on identifying them!

#10 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Stunning hummingbird! I really wish I could see one in my backyard. Illustration is amazing.

#11 pjustme

pjustme

pjustme

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:04 PM

PBS had a Nature program on hummingbirds last night.  It can be viewed online at pbs.org.  They had a camera that captured 500 fps, and got some incredible footage of the birds in flight.  Check it out.

#12 BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

BirderMadeleine

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,412 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 22 January 2010 - 04:44 PM

I saw that show on TV too! Great show

#13 spongee62

spongee62

spongee62

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationSouthern California / San Gabriel Valley

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

Today, (2/7/12) I say something totally unexpected with a pair of Anna's.  Was hanging around watching the birds typically chase each other away from my feeders but when I watched a male and female, I noticed actions I have never seen before.  I saw the two chasing each other around in a circle which was kinda weird, then I noticed the two land on the dirt approximately 5 inches away from each other.  They were "crouched" and looking at each other with the male making his noises.  This lasted for about 5 seconds then they took off.  I guess I can assume that this is some mating ritual because I have noticed a female (a couple of days ago) picking on spider webs, for what I assume is for nesting material.  Very cool dance, wish I could have filmed it but it was nice watching it for myself nonetheless.

#14 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Bird Brain

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 02 July 2012 - 04:56 AM

Here's a photo from last year of our resident male Anna's.

Posted Image
Male Anna's Hummingbird 010-1 by littlebear_elder, on Flickr

We did not inherit Mother Earth from our Ancestors.....

We have borrowed Her from our Descendants.

Chief Seattle of the Suquamish Tribe (paraphrased)

Man belongs to the Earth...Earth does not belong to Man.

Black Elk of the Lakota Tribe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users