7 replies to this topic

#1 mjh609

mjh609

mjh609

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:31 PM

So I headed down to Cape May last week and had a pretty uneventful day. Migration really just hasnt kicked into high gear just yet. Needless to say, I didn't rush right hjome to upload my pics. Going through them today to clear out my card I noticed one bird that looked a little off. I was photographing a group of what I thought were all Red-Tailed, but this one doesnt fit. No matter how hard I try I can't make it a red-tailed. I was thinking Swainson's. Let me know how off i am.

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

#2 mjh609

mjh609

mjh609

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:51 AM

Btw the 3 most recent pics in the photo stream are the same bird. Slightly different angles. The one in the tree I'm 90% sure is the same bird.

#3 eripma

eripma

eripma

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

You have a juv. Red-shouldered Hawk.
Eric Ripma
Visit my birding blog at http://nuttybirder.blogspot.com/

#4 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5071 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:59 AM

No replies yet? Looks like immature Red-shouldered to me. Swainson's is unlikely that far east.

Edit: Eric sniped me, so I agree. Nice Pike, by the way ;)

Chace

Michigan List: 277

#5 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14057 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

A Swainson's would have slightly more pointed wings and wouldn't have that pale crescent at the base of the outer primaries.

#6 mjh609

mjh609

mjh609

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

I was thinking swainsons because there is more spotting on the breast. My guide shows streaking on a red shouldered. Also all of the RS I've looked at have dark heads. This one is gray. Can someone explain a little more? I'm certainly not disagreeing. Just looking to learn.

#7 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14057 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:53 AM

Body coloration on young hawks can be awfully variable -- there are a few things you can actually use, but for the most part, with hawks the wings and tail are where it's at. Also, in addition to the variability in the birds themselves you can have issues with lighting in flight -- I think that's part of your confusion here.

Hawks are one of those groups where if you keep focusing on them, you're probably going to want a more specialized guide, since there's no way any general guide can approach all of the possible plumage variations.

#8 JeffR

JeffR

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:05 AM

Awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users