#1 Grandpa577

Grandpa577

Grandpa577

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationNassau, Long Island, NY

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

My primary interest in spotting scopes is the identification of birds at a distance and record the sighting. The following photo was taken at Jones Beach Boat Basin from the deck of the concession building looking NE towards the sand spit - 700 feet distant. The rock face in the background is the western side of the southern ramp to the Sloop Channel bridge where Meadowbrook and Ocean Pkwys meet about 4000 feet distant. The picture was taken with a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone.

Posted Image
AMGP_JBCGS_700ft_S3_110706 by Grandpa577, on Flickr

This is a cropped section of the photo. An American Golden Plover can be seen in the center of the frame. The overall conditions were heavy overcast. While I don't hold out much hope for a great deal of improvement with better lighting, I do feel comfortable that the four species are easily identifiable.

Posted Image
AMGP_JBCGS_700ft_S3_110706_B by Grandpa577, on Flickr

#2 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3624 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:45 PM

4 species?

Am. Golden, BB Plover, Black Skimmer, Forsters Tern, and Ring-billed?

#3 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12053 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA

Posted 07 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

My primary interest in spotting scopes is the identification of birds at a distance and record the sighting. The following photo was taken at Jones Beach Boat Basin from the deck of the concession building looking NE towards the sand spit - 700 feet distant. The rock face in the background is the western side of the southern ramp to the Sloop Channel bridge where Meadowbrook and Ocean Pkwys meet about 4000 feet distant. The picture was taken with a Samsung Galaxy S3 cell phone.

Posted Image
AMGP_JBCGS_700ft_S3_110706 by Grandpa577, on Flickr

This is a cropped section of the photo. An American Golden Plover can be seen in the center of the frame. The overall conditions were heavy overcast. While I don't hold out much hope for a great deal of improvement with better lighting, I do feel comfortable that the four species are easily identifiable.

Posted Image
AMGP_JBCGS_700ft_S3_110706_B by Grandpa577, on Flickr

Pretty incredible clarity for a cell phone camera. What kind of scope do you use?

Life List: 675

Latest birds:  Barn Owl, Glaucous Gull, Great Cormorant

ABA 2014: 184 species
Isle of Wight County 2014: 142 species

My Flickr
eBird

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#4 Grandpa577

Grandpa577

Grandpa577

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3277 posts
  • LocationNassau, Long Island, NY

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:02 AM

I meant to say four other species. I use a Vortex Razor HD 85mm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users