Photo
- - - - -

what happened to the setting for downloading info as needed?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garyjgeoaccess

garyjgeoaccess

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

There used to be an option for downloading database entries, photos, sounds, etc. as needed on a case-by-case basis. This was great. I could download just the birds for my area. Now, it looks like I have to download the entire database. Even for states I will NEVER visit. I now have over 500 MB of space sucked up on my SD card. I will only use a SMALL fraction of that data.(Before, iBird used less than 100MB. I had the data I needed. Now ... this is the worst case of space bloat that I've ever seen.)

The option to download data as needed is very important to making IBird Pro a viable alternative for my phone. Please bring back this option. Is this option still there somewhere? If so, where? Help!

Without this option, I will need to consider dumping iBird.

#2 Bigfoot

Bigfoot

Bigfoot-Big Hammer Spammer Slammer and Benevolent Dictator

• Administrators
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

I'm sorry that you are unhappy with iBird, I will forward your message to Admin.

Bigfoot
Commander of the Spammer Slammer Hammer

#3 garyjgeoaccess

garyjgeoaccess

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Thanks, Bigfoot.

I look forward to hearing from Admin.

#4 goofy166

goofy166

goofy166

• Administrators
  • 1,992 posts
  • LocationSausalito, CA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

Gary that option proved to be a nightmare for so many users we removed it. What would happen is many birders would not understand that if iBird did not download the data to a bird species it would try the next time they opened that species page. If they did not have an internet connection, which was likely in the field, they would get into a bad mode. The idea was to download every species either all at once or one at a time but we could not insure that. There were other reasons it was a difficult approach. The standard for downloading large databases is all at once (look at the navigation apps). So that is how we do it now,

We have a new installer that is way more reliable now. It uses the Google servers and so is faster. If you would like to try it send a email to support at ibird dot com with the words "beta test iBird for Android" in the subject.
Mitchell Waite
3001 Bridgeway, Suite K-321
Sausalito CA 94941

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users