#1 Wren

Wren

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationNorth GA

Posted 08 October 2012 - 07:55 PM

Has anyone else ever found themselves just not even using their binocs anymore? I just started birding less than a year ago. Recently, I started to use a Nikon superzoom just to be able to capture pictures and help me study the bird and ID it later. But, I can't do both watching with optics AND take pictures. Taking photos is tough enough, especially with tiny warblers darting all over... Now, I feel like I am not spending any time observing and learning to ID in the field. I know I need to learn to ID in photos first and learn some details, but many of the birds I photograph, I can't tell any colors in the field. Its not until I download the pictures that I see what I was even looking at. (i.e. goldfinches high in a tree with bright background just look light little black birds without optics.)

Has anyone else had this issue/problem?

Thanks!

#2 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2393 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 08 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yep! Today in fact. Bright day at the dog park where I never take my binocs. I stumble across an area teaming with birds. I can't see any really clearly because it so bright. I can tell some are robins and some I think are blackbirds of some sort. They even sounded kind of like blackbirds. Turns out in my photos they were Starlings.

Often when I go there I take photos of little birds I can't see well enough to id. And usually they turn out to be House Finches but sometimes I get surprised when I see the photos on the computer. Like with American Gold Finches. And sometimes something even better like Yellow- breasted Chat. And some sparrows I don't think I could id without a photo.

So, yeah especially at the dog park.

#3 lyceel

lyceel

Order of the Green Heron

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5320 posts
  • LocationLos Gatos, CA

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:22 AM

I never go birding without my bins (or my camera). You'll never see the birds as well through a viewfinder (or on an LCD screen) as you will with even a pair of cheap binoculars.

I use the Dual Harness from OpTech to carry everything. It can hold up to two cameras (strapped to your left and/or right side), plus a pair of binoculars in the middle. It lets me switch back and forth between bins and camera pretty quickly. I only carry one camera right now, so I sometimes use the left side straps to carry my water bottle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users