#1 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts and Texas

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:19 AM

Texas Coastal Bend October, Corpus Christi and Port Aransas for this bunch. Maybe added 15 lifers this weekend! Help and confirmations please. Long- billed Curlew I think, but possibly Whimbrel?Posted Image. Is this a first fall Blue Grosbeak?Posted Image We were not in normal range for Black-headed which was my only other guess. Pied-billed Grebe?Posted Image.Pretty sure this is a Neotropic Cormorant?Posted Image and are all three of these Indigo Buntings? Not used to seeing them in this state of feathers! One of them seemed much deeper brown. I'll save the flycatchers and warblers for tomorrow. All but the Indigo Buntings would be lifers for me if confirmed. I have other pics if needed. Spring may be the best time, but fall here is still amazing. Any birder who has not been to Texas needs to come here!

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:29 AM

The bill on the curlew isn't nearly long enough for an adult long-billed, I'm thinking it's a whimbrel. The grosbeak looks like it has black and white patterning on it - I'll bet it's a rose-breasted. Definitely a PB grebe. Not sure on the cormorants. Are the whooping cranes there yet? I saw them there a few years ago.

Just checked the cormorants, and I believe you're right!

#3 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,893 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:30 AM

Oh - I don't see any pics of indigo buntings.

#4 jblakelock

jblakelock

jblakelock

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationPleasant Hill, CA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

I'll second BarnSwallow on the Whimbrel and Pied-bill Grebe. In addition to bill length a Long-billed Curlew wouldn't show as bold of a dark stripe across the eye.
Perhaps the truth depends on a walk around the lake - Wallace Stevens

#5 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

I did this before! Duh! Posted Image. Did not get a good picture of the Grosbeak, but I got a good look. The belly was yellow/gold, pretty vibrant! Bold head stripes. Here is a tone enhanced picture Posted Image The curlew/whimbrel (either is a lifer) was on the lawn behind our camper. We were at the Corpus Christi NAS campground on the bay. They were all over and on the golf course too. The head pattern seemed between, bolder than my reference for Curlew, but less bold than Whimbrel, but sound seemed to match Curlew better.

Life list at 429!...Recent Lifers:  Northern Shrike, Pine Grosbeak, Merlin, Red Crossbill, White-winged Crossbill, Common Pauraque, Olive Sparrow, Western, Least, Clark's, Horned  and Eared Grebes, Altimira, Audubons, Scotts and Bullock's Orioles, Black-headed Grosbeak, Green Kingfisher, Reddish Egret, Red-naped Sapsucker, Barred, Eastern and Western Screech Owls, Flamulated owl,Elf Owl, Mexican Spotted Owl, Snowy Owl, American Bittern, more ducks and shorebirds than I can list , Northern Beardless-Tyrannulet, Buff-breasted flycatcher, ELEGANT TROGON, Gray Hawk, Black Hawk,Yellow-throated,  Hutton's and Bell's Vireo,Black-throated Gray Warbler, Painted Redstart, Yellow-throated warbler, TROPICAL PARULA, Black-tailed Gnatcatcher, Broad-billed, Anna's, Costa's, Violet -crowned, Rufous and Magnificent Hummingbirds, Yellow and Black-billed Cuckoos, Swamp sparrow,Black-throated Blue warbler, Bay-breasted warbler,Prairie Warbler, Townsend's warbler, Clark's Nutcracker, BB Magpie,Pinyon and  Gray Jay, Pygmy Nuthatch, Lewis's Woodpecker, Brant.

#6 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

Bit late...going to bed, but I have other pics of the Whimbrel/Curlew which I will gather tomorrow. I don't think the Whooping Cranes have arrived yet, We saw them in March. Some of the summer birds seem to be lingering. We did see Wood Storks which I was not expecting. They are a lifer for me...not the prettiest of creatures, but interesting.

#7 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,716 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:31 AM

I love the shots of the cormorants and buntings!
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#8 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,649 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:57 AM

The buffy unstreaked undersides of this one are making me think Long-billed Curlew. The head pattern looks weak to me as well. It would be an immature, with that relatively short bill. The body looks bulky to me also, more like the Curlew.
Creationist Birder

#9 blackburnian

blackburnian

13 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,822 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 09 October 2012 - 10:31 AM

I think thats definitely a LB curlew, for the reasons creeker said

Ryan

ABA- 282

2014- 218

#10 psweet

psweet

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,144 posts
  • LocationNortheast Illinois

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

I agree with Creeker -- that first bird is a Long-billed Curlew. A Whimbrel would have much stronger stripes on the head and gray barring on the flanks, rather than the plain buff color we see here.

#11 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:38 PM

Using my iPod I zoomed in on the picture, an theres that weird notch thing on the beak, which is a field mark of LB curlew also I believe.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#12 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

For what it's worth, I agree that the first bird is a Curlew. Whimbrel have much stronger facial patterns. The Grosbeak looks good for a Rose-breasted.

Life List: 685

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 310 species
Virginia 2014: 227
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#13 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

We were leaning Curlew based also on voice, but here is another shot. I wish we had taken pics of others instead of just this one that adopted us.Posted Image. Any more input on the Grosbeak? Or if all 3 of the other birds are Indigo Buntings?

#14 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

More posts since I started this...on the Grosbeak, the chest was yellow. I am sure of that. My husband took the pictures while I viewed it in the binos and I got a very good look. I see first fall is buffy, but why Rose-breasted over Blue?

#15 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,251 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

The black and white pattern on the wings. (as stated by barn swallow) and yes all those birds are indigo buntings.

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#16 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 02:02 PM

More posts since I started this...on the Grosbeak, the chest was yellow. I am sure of that. My husband took the pictures while I viewed it in the binos and I got a very good look. I see first fall is buffy, but why Rose-breasted over Blue?

Blue don't show any white patterning on their wings. Black-headed is possible, but I think I'm seeing to much black on the nape for that (I believe this is a male bird molting out of alternate plumage)

EDIT: Yes, I agree that all 3 birds are Indigos (no wingbars rules out Lazuli, contrasting throat and long pp rule out Varied)

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

My Flickr
eBird

#17 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

The spacing on my Nat'l Geographic guide made me think I was looking at Blue when it was the Black-headed 1st fall I thought matched. Not really in range so I guess it must have been Rose-breasted which is not a new bird for me. The chest was pretty bright yellow though so it must have been a young one? I'm just not sure enough to list it. Did my last picture help solve the Curlew/Whimbrel question?

#18 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,996 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Did my last picture help solve the Curlew/Whimbrel question?

Definitely Curlew, imo.

My Flickr
eBird

#19 triciav83

triciav83

I like dachshunds

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, TX

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Where did you find the Wood Storks? I'm heading to Corpus this weekend and only need one more species in Nueces County to hit my county 100!

Latest Lifer(s): Wrentit, Black Turnstone, Surfbird, Elegant Tern, Barn Owl (finally!!!!)

http://tricialikesbirds.blogspot.com -> Updated 05/01/2014

Texas 2014 list: 293

Year ABA list: 329

#20 Texachusetts

Texachusetts

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

I can't remember the road # if it was 35 or before that, but we took the ferry from Aransas Pass toward Rockport. Along the shore on the right is a wetlands boardwalk, thought there is not much wetlands right now. It is before Rockport. There was a flock of 10-12 Wood Storks resting there. They also said they had been seen that day (maybe same group) at the Heron flats at the Aransas NWR, but we did not see them there. It is VERY dry in that area, many lakes and ponds have been dry for 1 1/2 years. We found an awesome site for warblers in Port Aransas...I think that is still your county. The Joan and Scott Holt Paradise Pond (no pond right now) was full of warblers. If you can't get the Wood Storks, try that site. It is site 57 on the Central Texas Birding Trail, 1st listed in Mustang Island loop. Good luck! Thanks Billy...I'm counting it as the Curlew, esp as we felt the voice matched.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users