• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 robin623

robin623

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 06:56 AM

Can anyone tell me if chicken feed, as sold in farm supply stores, would be an acceptable bird food for use in platform feeders? It is very inexpensive, and I assume that it would be attractive to sparrows, doves, jays, etc. Considering the high cost of niger, peanuts and black oil sunflower, which I use in large quantities each year, I think that the addition of this stuff would allow me to get more mileage out of the more expensive, specialized foods in the other feeders. Note that I am considering it as an addition to my current feeding regimen, rather than as a replacement for any of the other foods.

Thanks in advance for any information or opinions.

#2 fisherman1313

fisherman1313

I support the US Olympic Birding Team

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,542 posts
  • LocationRiverbank, CA

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:37 PM

I've never used it myself but I have read of other people using chicken scratch to feed wild birds.

The sludge caught in the mind's filter, the stuff that refuses to go through, frequently becomes each person's private obsession. In civilized society we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions "hobbies". - Stephen King

All Yellow Warblers are yellow warblers, but not all yellow warblers are Yellow Warblers. - Me

#3 Guest_Janeybug_*

Guest_Janeybug_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2012 - 07:45 PM

Hi,
You can certainly put out scratch or cracked corn but I would not put out the pellets or crumbles as they have particular vitamins and some have hormones for layers that would not be beneficial to backyard birds. If you mix it with the seeds you currently buy they should last longer for sure. Be sure your corn or scratch is high quality as some of the lower quality for deer or cattle that can contain aflatoxins. Corn that contains higher amounts of aflatoxin is sold as deer corn. It might kill birds that eat it.
And corn is a nice high calorie meal to fatten them up for the winter. :-)
Jane

#4 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,072 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:01 PM

i get the hen scratch or chicken scratch from my local farm store or coop or even walmart here carries it.
i call around and see who has the best price when i need it. this week it happened to be the walmart super store. they are basically a mix of grains with cracked corn and wheat and milo. i get a large variety of birds that eat it including doves and blackbirds and finches and woodpeckers and grosbeaks and a few pest birds like grackles or crows or ravens. it does attract squirrels or chipmonks also. i feed off several stumps or platform feeder or hopper feeder and even in a tube feeder and in muddy or snowy weather have an alumanom
bakeing sheet one the ground or the back porch. it has went up in price this year but stiil a lot cheaper than most bird seed mixes. the layer mix or chick starter do have added ingredients and or suppliments but the plain hen scratch is just mixed grains and that is what i get

#5 creeker

creeker

creeker

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,904 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

I feed chicken scratch to the ducks and coots at my local lake, I meaning my three year old. :)
Creationist Birder

#6 cwj2323

cwj2323

Still birding, but not as active at forum

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationNear Central Iowa

Posted 09 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

There's antibiotics in some, so personally, I'd avoid that. Chick starter is recommended for Zick Dough, which I made the first time this year.

#7 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,810 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

I feed chicken scratch to the ducks and coots at my local lake, I meaning my three year old. :)

Awww. You're starting him/her off right! :)
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users