Shoveler26

How to attract Purple finches to the feeders

12 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have tons of House finches and sometimes there are a couple purple finches. They are mixed in the flocks with House finches but the house finches go down to the feeders and the Purple finches just stay in the tree. What seed do they like?

eZL7F.jpg

If you can find the purple finch in that photo it is to the right.

Thanks,

Shoveler.

I got this seed, bird watchers blend. Whatever is in it, the purple finches apparently like it because they're here more than the house finches! I also got a thistle feeder, which some finches and pine siskins like too...

http://www.tractorsupply.com/morning-song-reg-birdwatchers-blend-reg-bird-feed-18-lb--6892382

1 person likes this

I'm pretty sure it's just based on your location. House finches and Purple Finches eat the same seeds, as far as I know.

1 person likes this

We have a tray feeder that we put a mix of sunflower, safflower, peanuts, and a blend and the feeder is always full of Pine Siskins and Purple Finches!

1 person likes this

I need to get a Tray feeder. I have a Log area I set up here are the pics

QCSUQ.jpg

Here is my Main Pole system:

LklfY.jpg

Here is my 2nd Pole System:

KzX0T.jpg

Nice setup there Shoveler! I can just see the Sharpie cruising through now to pick off your Purple Finches!

3 people like this

Great setup! I can see why the birds like it there. How do you keep the squirrels out of the tray feeders?

At my house they ate only sunflower seed, and for the first few days they were in my yard, they didn't come at all.

Wow thanks guys! And beleive it or not Creeker A Sharpie did take one of my Finches not a Purple though. :P

I'm pretty sure it's just based on your location. House finches and Purple Finches eat the same seeds, as far as I know.

Just wondering, I get both these birds in winter, right? I live in Toronto, Ontario.