Benjamin DeHaven

Finder Of The Maryland Pink-footed Gooses

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • LocationTimonium, Maryland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hey all!

Is that an albino pigeon just above and to the right of the adult Bald Eagle? This is a small slice of what I saw today below the Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna River in Maryland. If you spot anything interesting in here that I might have missed feel free to point it out. I'm especially thinking Great Cormorant, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Storm-Petrels (I doubt it), Iceland Gull... And is that massive brown headless penguin looking thing left center of the image anything more than a juv eagle? I think if you click this at least one it will get bigger. Thanks and enjoy the view!

Posted Image

Benjamin

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#2 cestma

cestma

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,715 posts
  • LocationSW Michigan

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:19 AM

Omigosh that's stunning, Benjamin! I could study it for hours! Thank you for posting this!
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt II http://www.whatbird....ii/#entry551308
Trip report: Oregon Jaunt http://www.whatbird....4-oregon-jaunt/
Trip report: Birding in Michigan's Upper Peninsula http://www.whatbird....pper-peninsula/

#3 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:33 AM

I don't know if the pigeon is albino, or just happens to be all white.

I also see two species of gulls (don't ask me which ones), DC Cormorants, and that's either a young bald eagle or an ewok.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#4 Shoveler26

Shoveler26

2014 IN Big year

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Holy moly what a Great Capture! Bald Eagles, Diffrent Species Of gulls! Man Talk about a Fallout in that spot! Nice photo!

My Recent Lifers: Black-billed cuckoo,Black bellied Whistling duck, Olive Sided flycatcher, Alder Flycatcher, Worm-Eating Warbler, Eurasian Wigeon, Brewer's Blackbird, Scissor Tailed Flycatcher- All seen in Indiana this year. 

My Recent FOY's: Least Bittern, Philadelphia Vireo, Golden Winged Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Yellow billed Cuckoo, Black throated Blue Warbler, Black Bellied Plover, Acadian Flycatcher.

My Yearlist for Indiana: 250

My life list: 322

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.co...os/83809814@N06

#5 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:13 PM

That spot always looks like that! Driving across the dam, you see that x100, at least! Hundreds and hundreds of DC cormorants, at least 20 or 30 GB herons at a time, thousands of gulls, ducks, geese, ocasionally swans, dozens of black and turkey vultures, and dozens of eagles. Makes driving across the narrow, busy, 2 lane bridge a bit hazardous, especially while towing a horse trailer!

I agree with white pigeon - not necessarily albino - but I thought the ewok was a shoebill, which would be just a leeeetle out of range! More likely a juvie bald eagle!

#6 Wren

Wren

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • LocationNorth GA

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Great photo!

Is that a falcon sitting with the pigeons, just above and to the left of the adult Bald Eagle? (Dark wing, light breast)

#7 TheBillyPilgrim

TheBillyPilgrim

Frank

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationSmithfield, VA (again)

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Great photo!

Is that a falcon sitting with the pigeons, just above and to the left of the adult Bald Eagle? (Dark wing, light breast)

Pretty sure it's another DC Cormorant

Great photo, Benjamin!

Life List: 684

Latest birds:  Hermit Warbler, Sooty Grouse, Pine Grosbeak, Calliope Hummingbird

ABA 2014: 309 species
Virginia 2014: 225
Isle of Wight County 2014: 180 species

My Flickr
eBird

Nevada Field Season Report: http://www.whatbird....-season-report/

Costa Rica Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....rt/#entry396425

#8 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I have no idea why, but I always find it funny to see pigeons clumped on a rock just above sea level. They just look out of place.

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#9 jlk1987

jlk1987

jlk1987

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:49 PM

i love this pic :)

#10 JimBob

JimBob

Little SuperBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts
  • LocationSan Diego County

Posted 02 November 2012 - 02:59 AM

And yes, the white bird looks like a pigeon. I don't see anything super cool, other then the eagles and LBBGs though. Nice picture!

ABA list: 425 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow, Mountain Quail
Yearlist: 326 Latest- Black-chinned Sparrow
Yard List- 100!! latest: Olive-sided Flycatcher
My flickr: http://www.flickr.co...s/89595711@N08/  

http://www.youtube.c...a?feature=watch

I may live in San Diego County, but my home and heart will always be in Missouri.

#11 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:28 AM

Wait, LBBGs? Lesser Black-backed Gulls? Um, didn't see those... I'm going to look again but feel free to help me with this Where's Waldo... :)

Motivational Thought Of The Moment: "The most dangerous risk of all, the risk of spending your life not doing what you want on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later.� - Randy Komisar

Life List: 303 ** ABA 2014: 189 ** Maryland Life: 240 ** Maryland 2014: 120 ** Baltimore Life: 186 ** Baltimore 2014: 88 ** Delaware Life: 153

2013 Sightings (ebird rank): ABA: 260 (2405th) ** Maryland: 212 (81st) ** Baltimore: 169 (20th) ** Delaware: 127 (101st)

#12 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Ok, I am seeing between 2 and 4 larger gulls on the peak of the back row of rocks. However their wings don't look any darker than the Ring-Billed Gulls so wouldn't that make them Herring Gulls? I'm not seeing anything that I think is a Lesser Black-Backed Gull. There were one or two reported at this spot for a four day period including the day I was there and this was taken. If anyone can point me to a LBBG I would be very thankful.

#13 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:33 PM

the pic looks like a painting. pretty cool.. I missed a Wilsons petral and a few species of scoters the other day.. went to the park at the river at 11:30 AM day after hurricane, nothing was around so I left.. then I started getting reports that they were spotted 15 minutes after I left at the same spot!
Mid Hudson Valley in Upstate NY
My Flickr Pages http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

#14 Benjamin DeHaven

Benjamin DeHaven

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Believe me, I've been there, couple minutes to late to arrive, couple minutes to early to leave... The most painful misses for me at Conowingo along the Susquehanna were a Pomarine Jaeger, Parasitic Jaeger, Iceland Gull, Brant, all three Scoter, Leach's Storm-Petrel. Since Sandy I have added Black Skimmer, Red Phalarope, Common Merganser, Common Loon, and Black-headed Gull to my life list. All but the Loon were seen right here at the dam. Win some and lose some I guess. Oh, and if anyone can point out a LBBG I can add that to my list too! ;)

Side note, I'm seeing that bright disc in the sky today for the first time since early Saturday afternoon... For future generations reading these posts that's 6 days!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users