• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 judykk

judykk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

I saw a most unusual bird in my backyard today but I can't figure out what it is. I used this site to search but it crashed and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. Because of Hurricane Sandy, I think it may be farther north than usual. I live north of Guelph in Ontario.

Here is a picture taken through a window. Thanks for any help you can give me. :rolleyes:

Attached Files

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7475 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

Awesome birds!! They're evening grosbeaks. It's quite the opposite - they're northern birds who are coming farther south than usual, along with a bunch of other northern birds. I'm eagerly hoping to see some.

#3 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2844 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 01 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

here they normally stay in the higher elevations in good weather but move down into the foothills and valleys when its too snowy They nest here in early spring and sometimes a second brood later in the summer or early fall. they seem to eat mostly seeds and nuts but like sunflower seeds best.. The ones around here don't migrate south in winter but do change elevations with weather or climate changes.

#4 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

I came, I saw, I birded

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8912 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

thirded

Cowboy Bean is coming this way!

He's sharp as needle and bright as a dollar,

Wear No. 3 shoe and a 16 collar.

He's full of vim and he's full of vigor,

fast on the draw, and quick on the trigger.

So all you bandits and thieves take warning

Or you'll be in a hospital bed by morning!

And the doc'll give you kind of a shake,

And he'll hear the rattle that the bullets make,

And he'll shake his head and he'll say "oh my"

I can't cure this and I ain't gunna try!

Yipp-I-day!

For Two-Gun-Freddy has plugged this guy!

2014: 96

Spoiler

Life List: 307: Sedge Wren

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/ Blog: http://gwinnett2014.blogspot.com/ West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/

#5 Shoveler26

Shoveler26

Hawkwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1752 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, Indiana

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

I swear, the things i would do to see what you just saw there! Amazing Capture! Send them south to Indiana!

My Recent Lifers:Smith's LongspurWestern Grebe, Iceland Gull, Thayer's Gull, Ferruginous Hawk, Prairie FalconWhooping crane, Golden Eagle, Snowy Owl, Ross's Goose, Harris's Sparrow
Recent Yard List: Merlin, Eastern Screech Owl, White throated sparrow
My Year list: 122 / FOY'S: Eastern Screech owl, Red Throated Loon, White Winged Scoter, Glaucous Gull, Great Black Backed gull, Rough legged hawk, Snow goose, Eastern Meadowlark, Lapland Longspur, Red breasted Nuthatch, Barred Owl Snowy Owl, Hooded Merganser, Merlin, Greater white fronted goose, Cackling goose, Northern Shoveler,
My Indiana big year list: 150
My life list: 297

#6 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2393 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 01 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I want to see some too! We get them in colorado up in the foothills and mountains and I'm in the plains.

#7 WatchNettle

WatchNettle

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts
  • LocationWhite Mountains, New Hampshire

Posted 01 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Add me to the list!! I want to see those guys!! I would probably do a way better happy dance than when I saw the Fox Sparrow at my feeders! Great shot through the window! I am so jealous! There have been a few reports of them around me so my fingers are crossed!!

"The Angles have the Phone Box."

#8 JimUSNY

JimUSNY

I'm Learning

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2090 posts
  • Locationupstate NY on the Hudson River

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Add me to the list!! I want to see those guys!! I would probably do a way better happy dance than when I saw the Fox Sparrow at my feeders! Great shot through the window! I am so jealous! There have been a few reports of them around me so my fingers are crossed!!

we had a big flurry of them a week or so ago in my area, but have all gone away somewhere. all I got in my yard that I saw anyway was one lonely female.. so much wanted a male to show up
Mid Hudson Valley in Upstate NY
My Flickr Pages http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimusny/

#9 blackburnian

blackburnian

13 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4558 posts
  • Locationcentral NC

Posted 02 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Awesome birds!

Ryan