Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DHSBirdman

Tundra, Trumpeter or Mute Swan?

6 posts in this topic

Zxyih.jpg

October vacation picture again, taken October 17th on Lake Erie very close to Cedar Point Amusement Park. On Picasa, I can zoom the picture out to see yellow up near the nostril area with much of rest of bill seemingly being orange. I'm not sure if the posted picture here is big enough to show that. I have not yet figured out how to change pictures before posting them on the Whatbird Forum. My guess is that this one here is a Tundra Swan. I have pictures later in the vacation down in Central Ohio that are pictures from only about 30 feet away from the swans. Those I will probably be able to ID myself. Can any one help with this guy? Thanks.

With that very long neck, and long all yellow bill, and white body: Great Egret.

1 person likes this

It is a Great Egret! That water must be pretty shallow.

The other 3 birds in the background are more of the same, too.

Oops. Soory guys. I pulled a bad picture. I have two pictures taken about 10 minutes before this one which were definitely 7 swans of some sort but they were way out further than this picture. I grabbed this one without looking at it closely enough thinking it was one of those swans which came in closer. Obviuosly this is s great egret. I see them all of the time in southern California. Sorry about the mix up. I will go ahead and now right after this post one of the central Ohio Swans I saw. I think he is a Mute Swan. It will post it shortly.

DHSbirdman here is a link to a cropped pic of your posted pic this was done in PICASA when you veiw your picture the cropped button is in the top left corner and you can do it with their sizes or just make your own box around the part you want cropped

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cSG4Vki1XJ4/UKhCMmAdgEE/AAAAAAAAAWs/ogfKO7oE8UM/s187-c/DHSBirdmanPicCropped