outdoor3

House Finch in Northern Alberta?

8 posts in this topic

There have been several of these hanging around my yard and birdfeeder the past couple of days. I have idntified them as house finches. I am looking for validation that these are indeed what I have identified them as...the map shows that the only place they are in Alberta is in the southwest near Calgary. I live on a farm an hour north of Edmonton which is in the northern half of the province. I have lived here for over forty years and have never seen these birds before, nor has my mother who has been here for 75. Any input would be welcome.post-33928-0-22729500-1353447855_thumb.jpgpost-33928-0-86067500-1353449015_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like house finch to me! And I have seen more than my fair share of em trying to turn them into cooler birds lol

Thanks for the help! Ironically, according to the map they shouldn't be where I live, but I'm glad they are! Very cool to watch.

My Sibley's guide has pine grosbeaks occuring in all of Alberta. That said, this is an irruption year. A lot of northern birds are moving farther south for the winter, due to food shortages in their usual areas.

Oh, I forgot to mention - those are great pics of a couple of beautiful birds!!

1 person likes this