Photo
- - - - -

Brown Thrasher or just Juvenile Northern Mockingbird?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DHSBirdman

DHSBirdman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts
  • LocationDesert Hot Springs, CA

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

These are pictures of the same bird, who just moved a little bit between shots. Pictures taken at the Kroger Wetlands in Marietta Ohio in southeastern Ohio on October 24th. At the time I took the pictures, I really thought that I had a Brown Thrasher versus a juvenile Northern Mockingbird. The pictures are not great, and a few siloutte photos that I think would have been more definitive came out blurry, so no help there. Still as I zoom up these pictures in Picasa, I really do think that I have a Brown Thrasher versus a juvenile Northern Mockingbird. Can any one tell if I am right or not?

By the way, does anyone have any idea why in Picasa, I can zoom a picture in or crop it down, yet every time I try to move it to the Whatbird Forum posting, it just returns to its normal original size?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give on either or both questions above.

#2 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:25 AM

Brown thrasher. By the time a mocker is full grown, it's breast is pretty clean.

#3 blackburnian

blackburnian

13 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

I agree

Ryan

ABA- 281

2014- 206

#4 DHSBirdman

DHSBirdman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Barn Swallow. The Juvenile Mockingbird still having a streaky breast, plus my other Northern Mockingbird mis ID of a few days ago, is why I hedged my bet here. The other day I thought I had some weird east coast flycatcher on a telephone pole, I was horribly wrong and it was a Northern Mockingbird. About 5 people quickly told my Southern California Desert butt about.I felt like an idiot for making that mistake. I did not want to do that again.

Thanks for the ID. It is a lifer for me. Have a great rest of Thanksgiving. Oh by the way, welcome to Maryland joining the Big 10 starting in 2014. The school has a good basketball tradition, and is betting than 5 or 6 teams in the Big 10 from a football standpoint also. Bye for now.

#5 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,837 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Brown Thrasher thirded

2014: 196

Gwinnett County: 143/182

Life List: 309: Sedge Wren

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/

West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/

Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

#6 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,873 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

I've had to rescue a couple of fledgling mockers from the middle of my yard where they're just sitting ducks, so I've had good looks at juvies, and they've lost most of their streaking by then. Don't feel stupid about mis-IDing anything, even when it becomes obvious how far off you are!! We've all done it and will continue to do it.

The Maryland thing has been all over the news. I don't follow college sports that much, but it'll be interesting to see how they do in the Big 10!

#7 DHSBirdman

DHSBirdman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,440 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Barn Swallow, I think Maryland will do good in basketball right away in the Big 10, but it might take a few years to catch up to the top 4 or 5 teams in football. My wife's team West Virginia is experiencing the same concept since joining the Big 12 this year. They are finding out that they stepped up a little bit in weight class in football. I think they will do great in basketball in their new league.

#8 Joejr14

Joejr14

Joejr14

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,173 posts
  • LocationVernon, CT

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

They're going to stink in the Big 10 just like they did in the ACC. Their b-ball program has been garbage the past 5 years and their football program has never come close to their success from 2001.

#9 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,150 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

Awful decision by the Big Ten. Subtraction by addition. I remember MSU's buzzer beater over Maryland in the tournament a few years back, fondly. We don't want your subpar college teams from out east over here in the midwest though, sorry (not that the Big Ten had a great football season this fall)

Chace
Michigan List: 297

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users