David T

What Finch

10 posts in this topic

The bird on the left is definitely a female/immature House Finch. The center bird is probably a male House, but I can't see enough to rule out Purple. The bird on the right has too many blown highlights to ID, but it does appear to have a different GISS than the other two.

The bird on the left is definitely a female/immature House Finch. The center bird is probably a male House, but I can't see enough to rule out Purple. The bird on the right has too many blown highlights to ID, but it does appear to have a different GISS than the other two.

The center bird looks like it has enough streaks to rule out Purple, as for the right bird I could see it being a Purple Finch

The center bird looks like it has enough streaks to rule out Purple, as for the right bird I could see it being a Purple Finch

Why Purple for the right hand bird? They generally appear bulkier and shorter tailed than Houses, when side-by-side. I'm not getting that impression at all.

Why Purple for the right hand bird? They generally appear bulkier and shorter tailed than Houses, when side-by-side. I'm not getting that impression at all.

From what i could see when I zoomed in all the way it looked like it had more pronounced facial pattern, I see what your saying about the shape though,

Why are we assuming that the bird on the right is a finch? The shape suggests some of the sparrows to me.

Why are we assuming that the bird on the right is a finch? The shape suggests some of the sparrows to me.

Song? maybe, was my first thought after you mentioned sparrow