a.wren

What NY Hawk is this?

16 posts in this topic

Hanging out in my suburban front yard, 'cuz it's near the bird feeders...

IMG_0495.jpg

I want to say Red Shouldered hawk, because of the markings on the breast. Given the backlit view, through window and screen, I couldn't even make out any red on the shoulders with my binocs, but I can see a yellow eye and the regular, even breast markings, as well the absence of the belly banding of a Red-Tailed.

So, can you confirm or correct my ID?

No white markings on the secondaries make this a young Accipiter. I'm not comfortable IDing it to species with this shot alone, although I wouldn't be surprised if Psweet could :)

Any other shots would be helpful, too!

Looks like a Cooper's to me. The outer tail feathers appear to be shorter, plus its got thinner streaking as you go down the breast.

EDIT: This was based on looking at the additional photos, not just the OP's first photo.

All I can get from the band is a partial sequence that looks like 108-04..5. Does that tell us anything?

This is the clearest picture, in classic field guide profile.

IMG_0513.jpg

I don't know why I'm so excited about seeing this bird--I guess because I've never seen a hawk in my yard before.

Because its an awesome picture :D I'd be excited at seeing it too ! It looks like a sharp shinned imho. Someone will be in shortly to correct me if i'm wrong !

Actually, Wren, that band number may be sufficient, given that the bird is not only identifiable but aged as well. Here's a link to the Bird Banding Laboratory:

http://www.pwrc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/

Thanks! I couldn't use the online form with the partial data, but I did email all the relevant info to them. It's possible they can make a match and if they do, I'll share what I find out on this thread.

Thanks everyone who helped with the species ID.

Just to end the story about the incomplete number from the bird band: I got a prompt and courteous reply back from the Bird Banding Laboratory, that the needed the complete number in order to track the sighting. If I ever see a banded bird again, I am going to keep on taking pictures, even when the bird isn't in an ideal pose for determining an ID or getting an attractive photo. Because, who knows, I might capture the entire band code that way.