sfischer2250

Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge - duck id's

22 posts in this topic

I had a fantastic morning in Merritt Island, FL. Need a few identifications though.

Could this be a Eurasian Widgeon? The one in the front with the rust colored head and beige mohawk.

j4wdr.jpg

Not sure of this duck at all!

vBHE1.jpg

And lastly, the duck with the black head and white neck:

x2MB5.jpg

1. looks like a Eurasian Wigeon, great bird!! (not entirely sure though)

2. Northern Shoveler

3. Northern Pintail

That Bird that you dont know is what I am! A Shoveler! And i can Definitaly confirm your Eurasian Wigeon! Nice bird Especially Florida!

Do I see a Canvasback in the first shot also?

Yes, there appears to be a Canvasback just to the right and behind the Eurasian Wigeon.

Looks like you had a great day at Merritt Island! It's my favorite refuge :)

Thank you all! There were ducks everywhere! Thrilled to see the Hooded Mergansers, Lesser Scaups, and Blue Winged Teals too. In addition to the ducks, I saw over 30 species including White Pelicans, Avocets, and of course, the Egrets, Herons, Roseates and the usual birds found at MI.

2 people like this

I actually think the one some are seeing as a Canvasback is just another Redhead Drake. Even looks to have the yellow eye.

I actually think the one some are seeing as a Canvasback is just another Redhead Drake. Even looks to have the yellow eye.

I see the eye now. I think you're right about it being another Redhead.

That last photo looks like Lesser Scaup -- you can see on a number of them that there's a white wingstripe that doesn't extend out onto the primaries. I won't pretend to have looked at every individual, though! :P

I agree with Lesser Scaup on the last shots. They are definitely the expected Scaup species at MINWR. I've seen rafts of hundreds there.

Thank you all! There were ducks everywhere! Thrilled to see the Hooded Mergansers, Lesser Scaups, and Blue Winged Teals too. In addition to the ducks, I saw over 30 species including White Pelicans, Avocets, and of course, the Egrets, Herons, Roseates and the usual birds found at MI.

Can I ask where you saw the Avocet? I'm going to be down there Saturday and I've not see one this year!

I saw the Avocets feeding with the Pelicans, Egrets, and Ibises on the left hand side of the road fairly soon after entering Black Point. I got there about 9 am but someone told me that she arrived at 8 and they were closer to the road in the water on the same side. Most of the ducks were on the right side with the exception of the Mergansers. All the activity was before the parking lot area where you turn to the left. After the parking lot, we saw very little.

The feeding frenzies were amazing and a lot of activity was going on just before the turn off to the drive! Egrets, Ibises, Roseates, Storks...incredible! I was blown away before even entering the drive!

1 person likes this

Wow!

Trouble is, every other trip is going to be a letdown for you. :D

1 person likes this