Muddled Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:08 AM

Garden County Nebraska (panhandle)
Dec 2012

If I get even a fourth of these right, I will feel like I have accomplished something.

1>On top, (and another swimming off to center right): Gadwall
Next row: 2 male, 2 female Hooded Mergansers
In the front, a teal? Maybe Cinnamon Teal Female.
That leaves the two in the bottom right that I have no clue or guesses.

Posted Image

2>I have never tried to ID ducks in flight before. American Wigeons?

Posted Image

3>Ring-necked Duck?

Posted Image

4>Mallard-Male and Female, 4 Green-winged Teal, and one more tail off to the right side. The two in the top left corner (with what looks here in the photo to be gray heads) Blue-winged Teal?

Posted Image

5>Northern Shoveler in front and in back, Gadwall?

Posted Image

#2 Parula

Parula

Virginia eBirder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,229 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

1 blue winged teal
2 and 3 american wigeons
4. not sure
cant see 5

Yard list 142
Bird lifers 374
Birds in Peru 91
Birds in the U.S. 300
Latest- Eastern Whip-poor-will, Golden-winged Warbler, Chuck-will's-widow, Purple Gallinule, Bachman's Sparrow
Butterfly lifers- 85
Latest- Brazilian Skipper, Twin-spotted Skipper, Clouded Skipper, Hayhurst's Scallopwing, Southern Broken Dash

Moth Lifers- 182

Latest- Southern Emerald, Showy Emerald, Virginia Creeper Sphinx, Walnut Sphinx
Dragonfly and damselflies lifers- 42
Latest- Rambur's Forktail, Needham's Skimmer, Banded Pennant, Blue-fronted Dancer, Swift Setwing
Year list- 259
Latest- Kentucky Warbler

#3 blackburnian

blackburnian

14 year old birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts
  • LocationCentral NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

3 looks better for Gadwall to me.

Ryan

ABA- 285

2014- 239

#4 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

agree with 3 being a Gadwall

in 4 the six birds in the upper left corner are all Green-winged, as is the rear end sticking into the photo, the rest look good for Mallards

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 48

-----------------
So how has the entire global warming frenzy with all its predictions of dire consequences, become so widely believed, accepted and regarded as a real threat to planet Earth? That is the most amazing part of the story.

To start with global warming has the backing of the United Nations, a major world force. Second, it has the backing of a former Vice President and very popular political figure. Third it has the endorsement of Hollywood, and that’s enough for millions. And, fourth, the environmentalists love global warming. It is their tool to combat fossil fuels. So with the environmentalists, the UN, Gore and Hollywood touting Global Warming and predictions of doom and gloom, the media has scrambled with excitement to climb aboard. After all the media loves a crisis. From YK2 to killer bees the media just loves to tell us our lives are threatened. And the media is biased toward liberal, so it’s pre-programmed to support Al Gore and UN. CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The LA Times, The Washington Post, the Associated Press and here in San Diego The Union Tribune are all constantly promoting the global warming crisis.

---------------

#5 GreatHorn

GreatHorn

Owl Enthusiast

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,195 posts
  • LocationHolland, Michigan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I notice nobody has mentioned #5 yet - the front is a Mallard drake and on the back I can't tell between Mallard or Gadwall
Chace
Michigan List: 300

#6 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,175 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

I notice nobody has mentioned #5 yet - the front is a Mallard drake and on the back I can't tell between Mallard or Gadwall

it wasn't showing before, I think both are Mallards

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 48

-----------------
So how has the entire global warming frenzy with all its predictions of dire consequences, become so widely believed, accepted and regarded as a real threat to planet Earth? That is the most amazing part of the story.

To start with global warming has the backing of the United Nations, a major world force. Second, it has the backing of a former Vice President and very popular political figure. Third it has the endorsement of Hollywood, and that’s enough for millions. And, fourth, the environmentalists love global warming. It is their tool to combat fossil fuels. So with the environmentalists, the UN, Gore and Hollywood touting Global Warming and predictions of doom and gloom, the media has scrambled with excitement to climb aboard. After all the media loves a crisis. From YK2 to killer bees the media just loves to tell us our lives are threatened. And the media is biased toward liberal, so it’s pre-programmed to support Al Gore and UN. CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The LA Times, The Washington Post, the Associated Press and here in San Diego The Union Tribune are all constantly promoting the global warming crisis.

---------------

#7 PanHanNE

PanHanNE

Muddled Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationNebraska

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:47 PM

ok, so I was right on at least part of them.

Thanks, everyone.

I know my pictures of birds on the water are really hard to see detail. I just can't take a decent picture on the water with this camera, no matter what I do. In fact, I am starting to think I can't get a decent picture most times with this camera. About the only ones that turn out ok are those really close, on a branch, with nothing but a blue sky behind them, on very bright days with no clouds in the sky. And when all conditions are perfect, I generally end up moving as I snap, so the pics still don't turn out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users