Clip

? about Banding and please confirm Ferruginous Hawk

9 posts in this topic

Note the two bands on this hawk. Why two? And does anyone know where the bands originated? Confirm Ferruginous Hawk.

54cwl.jpg[/img]

I don't have a clue about the bands but I can confirm the Ferruginous!

I got a shot of a White-crowned Sparrow with 2 bands. I contacted all sorts of agencies for info and not ONE replied to my emails.

White-crownedSparrow1.jpg

A lot of times when you see two or more bands, one is a Fish and Wildlife band and the others are color bands (in smaller birds) or field-readable bands (in larger birds) so you don't have to catch the bird again to know which one it is. The field readable bands have a simpler combination in large letters, and you use a unique color combination for each individual with the color bands. If you look at the Ferrug picture, you can see that the band on the right leg is yellow with some markings, and if you look at the White-crowned, the band on the left leg looks white rather than aluminum.

I don't know why it was double banded, but this might explain things.

http://www.pwrc.usgs...NUAL/double.cfm

A lot of times when you see two or more bands, one is a Fish and Wildlife band and the others are color bands (in smaller birds) or field-readable bands (in larger birds) so you don't have to catch the bird again to know which one it is. The field readable bands have a simpler combination in large letters, and you use a unique color combination for each individual with the color bands. If you look at the Ferrug picture, you can see that the band on the right leg is yellow with some markings, and if you look at the White-crowned, the band on the left leg looks white rather than aluminum.

Really interesting, thank you both!