• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Twistlock

Twistlock

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

Found this bird dead in my yard in Moorestown, NJ on Dec 29th, 2012? It looked to be a Redheaded Woodpecker but the markings don't match it seems to me?

I perched it on the flower box for the picture but it is deceased.

Attached Files

#2 grammarcat

grammarcat

grammarcat

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

Yellow-bellied sapsucker.

#3 Rogue Birder

Rogue Birder

Going Rogue!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Ok. I'm a little creeped out... ;)

Life List - 313; Year - 266

Year to Date - Ohio - 251; Indiana - 152; Illinois - 29; M*ch*g*n - 60; Kentucky - 38

Backyard List - 83 - Least Flycatcher (May 11, 2014) Great Crested Flycatcher (June 23, 2014) Eastern Wood-Pewee (July 6, 2014)

States: Ohio - 265; Indiana - 190; California - 75; M*ch*g*n - 64; Maryland - 58; Kentucky - 38; Pennsylvania - 38; Illinois - 29; Tennessee - 6; Texas - 2 

Latest lifers: Black Tern (June 24, 2014) Little Gull (June 24, 2014) Northern Bobwhite (July 17, 2014)

My Blog - Rogue Birder

My Flickr - Rogue Photo

#4 DHSBirdman

DHSBirdman

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationDesert Hot Springs, CA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yes, it's a yellow-bellied sapsucker. I'm sorry to see such a beautiful bird was found dead in your yard. I have house finches hit a sliding glass door two of three times a year and kill themselves, and I get Mourning Doves and Gambel's Quail occasionally attacked by Copper's Hawks or Sharp Shinned Hawks in my yard, but I've never had that beautiful of a dead bird found in my yard.

#5 Twistlock

Twistlock

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for the ID.

I do not know the cause of death as it apprears to have died of natural causes since there are no visible signs of injury.

#6 Totah Sam

Totah Sam

Nat'aanii Nez

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  • LocationNW New Mexico

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Ok. I'm a little creeped out... ;)

Is there a society that birdwatches zombie birds? Because that bird is clearly a zombie. ;)
TotahSam
Lifelist: 35

Latest lifers: Bewick's Wren (7/4/12) Ash-throated Flycatcher (7/5/12) Yellow-breasted Chat (7-13-12) American Goldfinch (7/15/12) Golden Eagle (7/22/12)

#7 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,003 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Agree with yellow-bellied sapsucker, a type of woodpecker. A red-headed woodpecker has a solid red head and upper breast with no markings, and the body is large black and white patches.

#8 jdeitsch

jdeitsch

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,196 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:21 PM

Welcome to Whatbird!!!!

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/
West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/
Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

Lifelist: 311
Odes: 48

-----------------
So how has the entire global warming frenzy with all its predictions of dire consequences, become so widely believed, accepted and regarded as a real threat to planet Earth? That is the most amazing part of the story.

To start with global warming has the backing of the United Nations, a major world force. Second, it has the backing of a former Vice President and very popular political figure. Third it has the endorsement of Hollywood, and that’s enough for millions. And, fourth, the environmentalists love global warming. It is their tool to combat fossil fuels. So with the environmentalists, the UN, Gore and Hollywood touting Global Warming and predictions of doom and gloom, the media has scrambled with excitement to climb aboard. After all the media loves a crisis. From YK2 to killer bees the media just loves to tell us our lives are threatened. And the media is biased toward liberal, so it’s pre-programmed to support Al Gore and UN. CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The LA Times, The Washington Post, the Associated Press and here in San Diego The Union Tribune are all constantly promoting the global warming crisis.

---------------

#9 The Sego Sago Kid

The Sego Sago Kid

Ducks are not to be trusted.

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

Wait.. did you prop it up on your flower box for the photo? Dude.

I set my web server back up.  I don't know why you would want to, but feel free to visit my site: http://weitzel.duckdns.org

Shoot 'em all; let Photoshop sort 'em out.
"Yeahhh, let's party!" - A true scholar

I have no clue what I'm doing.

#10 Rogue Birder

Rogue Birder

Going Rogue!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • LocationBeavercreek, OH

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

@sego - Exactly

Life List - 313; Year - 266

Year to Date - Ohio - 251; Indiana - 152; Illinois - 29; M*ch*g*n - 60; Kentucky - 38

Backyard List - 83 - Least Flycatcher (May 11, 2014) Great Crested Flycatcher (June 23, 2014) Eastern Wood-Pewee (July 6, 2014)

States: Ohio - 265; Indiana - 190; California - 75; M*ch*g*n - 64; Maryland - 58; Kentucky - 38; Pennsylvania - 38; Illinois - 29; Tennessee - 6; Texas - 2 

Latest lifers: Black Tern (June 24, 2014) Little Gull (June 24, 2014) Northern Bobwhite (July 17, 2014)

My Blog - Rogue Birder

My Flickr - Rogue Photo

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bird ID

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users