bumpylemon

Merlin/Peregrine -Western Mass

59 posts in this topic

Everyone was saying this was a peregrine today. I think its a merlin. I seen a much larger bird later that I know is the peregrine. Can someone confirm merlin for me! i

post-34732-0-21974600-1356986378_thumb.jpg

The white stripes on the tail is characteristic of a Merlin. The barring on a Peregrine's tail is dark. The Peregrine has a very noticeable moustache. This bird does not. The head shape and white eyebrow (supercilium) are also characteristic of a Merlin.

2 people like this

what a day great raptor day I had! 2 shrikes, rough-legged, redtail, merlin, peregrine, bald eagle,and northern harrier!

Awsome Job. Love the Peregrine Shot. :o Awsome Again. Happy New Year.

what a day great raptor day I had! 2 shrikes, rough-legged, redtail, merlin, peregrine, bald eagle,and northern harrier!

"Great day"--jeez, I guess!

(The shrikes should be thrilled by their promotion...)

that can be tricky heading away like that, but you have an immature Red-tailed Hawk. It has dark belly streaks and dark on the patagials

Any other shots of that last bird? It's not a Harrier, but I'm not convinced it's a Red-tail. I think it may be a male Rough-leg -- there's an awful lot of white on the tail, and there seems to be an awful lot of markings on the underwing to not have solid patagial marks.

only other pic i got was this....he flew out of nowhere. and i wasnt looking for birds that i had already documented so i didnt take prolonged photos of him. I have gotten harriers before and they were brown and 1 "gray ghost". this bird seemed very dark. i have had rough leggeds there as well and this to me seems like a rough legged.

LAW_0842_zpsa1a35fa9.jpg

That may be a Roughie, but all the light ones I've seen have very well-defined carpal patches under the wings, which I don't see here.

Its just a young Eastern Red-tail. The upperwings are plain brown without any other color, I think the uppertail coverts are barred white and black and make it look like it has a white tail at the base. The head looks pretty brown too.

I see two shots with no panels in the primaries -- that would be pretty surprising in a young Red-tail, and I would still expect to see more pronounced patagials and a darker tail. I understand what Pat B. is saying about the carpal patches, but some male Rough-legs actually don't show them. (Check Wheeler -- he has some beautiful photos (of course) that show this).

1 person likes this

That is a Red-tail for sure. There are no male Rough-legs with brown uppersides streaked bellies, and brown heads. Even the flight feathers look wrong. Yes, Rough-leggeds can have pale bellies and marked bibs, but not streaked bellies and white chests. The reason the wing panels aren't visible is because it looks like the bird was photographed over snow when they wouldn't show up from underneath. Also, it is lacking a dark terminal band on the wings that adult male Rough-leggeds would have. Regardless, it is a Red-tail, the only tricky thing is that the patagials are faint. I will say I do appreciate and respect all the opinions of everyone.

I'm not Roughie expert but I see a TON of red-tails here and I've never seen one that looks like that.

So -- can you explain the white tail and the lack of panels on the primaries?