Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mirth29

No clue

16 posts in this topic

This bird was spotted in my backyard in South Carolina. I am new to birding and having trouble identifying this one accurately.

post-35125-0-46388600-1357171881_thumb.jpg

Thank you! It stopped by for some fun in the water and left quick. I almost wrote it off for a Tufted titmouse but then I took a second look. Looks like it is in SC year round, but along the coast (where I am) only in the winter.

Welcome to Whatbird! The Eastern Phoebe is one of my favorite birds to watch.

This bird was spotted in my backyard in South Carolina. I am new to birding and having trouble identifying this one accurately.

post-35125-0-46388600-1357171881_thumb.jpg

At least you knew it was a bird. Sometimes I don't even get THAT right. ;)

You realize bird watching is as addictive as crack, right? It will consume your life. In a good way. The first thing you must learn. It's a house finch. It's ALWAYS a house finch so don't even question it (or maybe that's just me). Second. Yes, it's a house finch. Squinting doesn't help. And finally? Good luck figuring out your dark-eyed juncos. You will go mad. I have found Junco serenity and finally let go and let Sibley's. I'm much better now. ::twitch::

5 people like this

The first thing you must learn. It's a house finch. It's ALWAYS a house finch so don't even question it (or maybe that's just me). Second. Yes, it's a house finch.

:)

1 person likes this

Damn House Finch got me started back in July. (Yes, that's an Eastern Phoebe-- great little bird!) I've lost my mind with this stuff. Absolutley lost my mind.

1 person likes this

soon as you figure out that it's a house finch it always a house finch ..... it's a female red-winged blackbird or is it a song sparrow

4 people like this

soon as you figure out that it's a house finch it always a house finch ..... it's a female red-winged blackbird or is it a song sparrow

Hilarious...I thought the chipping sparrows in my yard were house finches all month. But I am having a great time and get really excited each time a new bird shows up.

Sometimes it's a Yellow-rumped Warbler or a Northern Mockingbird. If it's a large raptor, it's A Red-tailed Hawk. If it's in your yard and you think it's a Peregrine Falcon, it's a Cooper's Hawk. :P

1 person likes this

I tried very unsuccessfully to convince my friend she had an accipiter in her wooded, suburban backyard, eating a bird, not a peregrine. Sometimes people believe what they want to believe. Even after she said it was smaller than the Cooper's she had seen there before.

At least you knew it was a bird. Sometimes I don't even get THAT right. ;)

You realize bird watching is as addictive as crack, right? It will consume your life. In a good way. The first thing you must learn. It's a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER. It's ALWAYS a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER so don't even question it (or maybe that's just me). Second. Yes, it's a YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER. Squinting doesn't help. And finally? Good luck figuring out your dark-eyed juncos. You will go mad. I have found Junco serenity and finally let go and let Sibley's. I'm much better now. ::twitch::

Fixed :D:P

1 person likes this

The first thing you must learn. It's a house finch. It's ALWAYS a house finch so don't even question it (or maybe that's just me). Second. Yes, it's a house finch. Squinting doesn't help.

LOL! I'm new at this whole bird-thing too (like 3 weeks). I was able to get a nice shot of these three guys taking a bath. I was so excited! A friend at work told me they were House Finch. I thought, that sounds like a pretty common name for such a colorful bird. But, OK.

Then my brother's girlfriend got a picture of what I thought was a Canyon Towhee. But the more I look at it, and with the above advice, I think it's a female House Finch! Unfortunately, I don't have her picture to post, but the pattern on the chest is what has me convinced that's what it is.

post-35133-0-71696400-1357271510_thumb.jpg

Yup, those are house finches. Pretty pic! The females look like these, just without the red.