Daffodil

Identify Two Gulls

8 posts in this topic

I saw these birds outside an ocean-front restaurant and marina in northeast FL today, where there were lots of brown pelicans and lots of gulls. I recognized Laughing Gulls with the black heads, but I wasn't sure about the two kinds of gulls in this photo: the gray, white, and black gulls on either side of the pelican, and the larger brown and white gull on the right.

Birds20130103_291c_zps696816ab.jpg

After checking around here and in my bird books, I think the smaller gray, white and black gull is a Laughing Gull in winter plumage.

Gull20130103_302c_zps12db0b0a.jpg

Gull20130103_105c_zps4d2be205.jpg

And I think the larger brown and white gull is a juvenile Herring Gull.

Gull20130103_369bc_zps6864dc5c.jpg

Did I get these right?

Daffodil, is that a picture of a Swallow Tailed Kite as you profile picture. I would love to see any kind of Kite, especially a Swallow Tailed Kite.

Edit: Is it possible to see Kites in Mexico?

Indigo Bunting, yes, it is a Swallow-tailed Kite! I see them around here (northeast FL) mostly during the summer. They are the most beautiful and graceful birds and I love to watch them. The only other kite I've seen in our area is the Mississippi Kite, which I've spotted just a couple of times.

I don't know about kites in Mexico--maybe someone else here would know more about that.

Depending on the season and the part of Mexico, it's possible to see: Mississippi, Plumbeous, Swallow-tailed, Hook-billed, White-tailed, Snail, and Gray-headed. Good luck!

Depending on the season and the part of Mexico, it's possible to see: Mississippi, Plumbeous, Swallow-tailed, Hook-billed, White-tailed, Snail, and Gray-headed. Good luck!

I will be going in March 8 to 22.