#1 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Been a Northern Parula Female hanging out at Madrona Marsh in Torrance, CA. Been looking for her and I think this is her.... don't have any better pictures. She was hanging out by her lonesome, hopping in some some bushes. I always have my doubts since it's Yellow-rumped Warbler Central.

Posted Image
Northern Parula by notrufus, on Flickr

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#2 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:39 AM

I can tell you it's definitely not a yellow-rumped. I'm going to say yes to northern parula.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#3 cany

cany

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,376 posts
  • LocationSo. Cal. Foothills, Cleveland Ntl. Forest

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:46 AM

If it is, it seems a long, long way from home:) Does the bird look bluish by eye? I'm having trouble with color here. Probably me.

New Birder January 1, 2013
Life list: 326
Most recent lifersCraveri's MurreletAshy Storm-Petral, Grasshopper Sparrow, Willow Flycatcher, Barn Owl, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Sabine's Gull, Scripp's Murrelet, Rhinoceros Auklet, Black Storm-Petral, MacGillivray's Warbler, Black-chinned Sparrow, Gull-billed Tern, Calliope Hummingbird,  Red Knot, Violet-green Swallow, Short-billed Dowitcher, Mountain Quail, Summer Tanager, Dusky Flycatcher, Baltimore Oriole, Sage Thrasher, Northern Saw-whet Owl, Western Screech Owl, Cassin's Vireo, Northern Waterthrush, Rusty Blackbird, Tricolored Blackbird, Burrowing Owl, Prairie Falcon, White-winged Scoter, Herring Gull, Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Hermit Warbler, Lewis's Woodpecker, Plumbeous Vireo

-- DONE! My first goal is met: get 100 birds in the first week of January (and I'm over count and still have two days to go). My approach was not to go after the easy birds, but the harder ones and pick up the easier ones along the way. So meeting this goal without really birding the easy spots is encouraging. I might feel different in August.
--  DONE! My goal for the next week (through the 15th) is to get my count up somewhere around 160. That shouldn't be too hard I don't think as I am missing a number of pretty easy species because I've been concentrating on local rarities. I am, however, taking a trip to the grasslands on Sunday hoping to get a new raptor or two and Mountain Bluebird.
--  DONE! With (yeah!) days to go! My goal for this week (through the 22nd of Jan) is to get my numbers up to around 170. I'd like to hit 175. We'll see. (I was 9 birds over... horray!)
--  1/2 DONE This week's goal will be to get my life list to 300 and my seen list up to 195. Did not get my life list to 300. Didn't leave the county this week.
--  Finally completed last week's goal.
--  DONE! This weeks goal (to Feb 14) is to get to 206 seen birds, including at least one owl (heard or seen for owl), and add at least one life bird.

This year's goal: Get life list to 400, see 365 different birds this year, and travel to at least three other states. The last part is the hardest for me.

Seen/heard: 283 (one is under discussion)
To go: 82

My new Blog: http://thisskysings.wordpress.com/

#4 Guest_Birdluvr_*

Guest_Birdluvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:43 AM

i just looked at ebird and it does show a couple of sightings in southern cali, im not sure if im using ebird the correct way though. there also was a confirmed sighting years ago of a northern parula in a park near my house in southern cali. it sure does look like one to me.

#5 meghann

meghann

suprm2001

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • LocationCSRA, Georgia

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, I researched a bit, and there has been one reported at folkeye's location for the past few months.

-Army wife, homeschooling mom to 4, photographer, insomniac ninja

Life list: 178

Yard list (old house): 73
Yard list (new house): 71
2014 so far: 143

#6 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSailing Up The West Coast Of Mexico

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

Looks like one. While I was home in the States visiting for Christmas, my occasional birding buddy down here in Panama found one. Only a handful have been seen here.
Sue

#7 SilencedBazooka

SilencedBazooka

Pro-life Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,887 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:04 PM

No doubt, Northern Parula,

2014: 196

Gwinnett County: 143/182

Life List: 309: Sedge Wren

Flickr: http://www.flickr.co.../103058792@N02/

West Trip Report: http://www.whatbird....0669-west-trip/

Trip Report Mini: http://www.whatbird....eorgia-big-day/

#8 darknight

darknight

Wandering Birder

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,331 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

As an east coast birder I can say 100% this is a Northern Parula. The all blue topside, including the rump, with that greenish patch on the middle of the back are diagnostic for them, and you can just see a hint of her yellow throat as well. Great bird!

There are 976 species on the ABA list. Looks like I've got a lot of birding to do....

Life List (World): 928 species
ABA area: 621
Latest birds: Rosy-faced Lovebird, Sinaloa Wren, Rufous-capped Warbler, Greater Sage-Grouse, Harris Sparrow, Tufted Duck, Red-throated Pipit, Blue-footed Booby, Black Swift, Scripp's Murrulet, Cassin's Auklet, Pink-footed Shearwater, Island Scrub-Jay, Leach's Storm Petrel, South Polar Skua, Arctic Loon, Saltmarsh Sparrow
California: 323
Riverside County, CA: 246
2014: 364

#9 folkeye

folkeye

Quit being a butter-butt!

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Yay, a super obvious lifer for me. She's just down the street from me so I'll try to get back again and see if I can get better picture. Just need patience for her to do the 'loop' to get back to a photogenic spot. Hard to shoot a small bird through a fence in the bushes :P

Starting a NEW gallery of my better bird shots. Not happy with Flickrs over-busy re-design.

http://www.ipernity....e/293739?rev=31

Recent Lifers: Arctic Tern, Tufted Puffin, Merlin, Northern Hawk Owl, Northwestern Crow, Pacific Wren, Pine Grosbeak, American Dipper, White-winged Scoter

Blue-footed Booby, Lincoln's Sparrow, Nelson's Sparrow, Pacific Golden Plover, Marsh Wren, Dunlin, Sora, Snow Goose, Herring Gull, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, American Redstart, California Thrasher, Cactus Wren, Black-vented Shearwater (Big 260), Sandhill Crane, Greater White-fronted Goose

#10 SuzanneO

SuzanneO

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSailing Up The West Coast Of Mexico

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

Congrats on a great find!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users