5 replies to this topic

#1 LauraC

LauraC

LauraC

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

I live in an apartment complex. We all have covered balconies (another balcony is above the one on the floor below) in the upper levels. I wonder why song birds don't take shelter at night on our balconies during, for example, an ice storm like we had last night. (Temperature below freezing)

Can a birder please tell me what the birds do in severe weather conditions?

#2 Kerryks

Kerryks

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • LocationHamburg NY

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I would love to know this to.

#3 EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

EyesOnTheSky

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

If no shelter is open I imagine they do what they have done for centuries. Fluff up and hunker down and wait for it to be over.

Life List - 252

Least Bittern

#4 Clip

Clip

Still Just a Rookie

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationCentennial, CO

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm pretty sure that many of the birds that come to my feeders take shelter under my deck when the weather turns really cold. It is dry and probably warmer than in a tree.

#5 BarnSwallow

BarnSwallow

Advanced Member

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts
  • LocationMonkton Maryland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

Agree. You have to remember - birds evolved over eons, long before man-made structures were around, and they've done fine. Their instincts usually lead them to places they evolved with. While a balcony might keep them dry, finding a "tighter" spot will help keep body heat in - balconies are usually open, cold, concrete areas.

A few years ago, I was getting out of my car one evening, and I saw a bluebird land on the trunk of a tree and disappear. I looked closely, and there was a hole in the tree. I looked in, and counted a dozen birds - they were just the ones I could see - all packed in there! There were bluebirds and chickadees, that I could see.

#6 dklucius

dklucius

ancient birdwatcher

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,999 posts
  • Locationdurango colorado

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

it varies here from types of birds. i live in a rural area which has several hundred acres of open woods and old pastures and scattered houses and trailers.. there is an old empty hay barn not far from me and i see lots of birds coming and going from the rafters of the old building. but also lots of oak brush and shrubs and i see some birds huddling up in the dense parts. i do have a back porch with access under it and see the juncos and towhees running in and out from under it. there are several pairs of flickers here in winter and i see them clinging to the wall or rafters under the eaves and one neighbor has a roost box hanging from a tree near his place and in bad weather is often full of finches and tits and chickadees and nuthatches. the downeys and hairy woodpeckers crowd into their nest holes in dead trees. i went out to my storage shed recently and as i was opening the door several little birds flew away. they had been perching up under the overhang.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users