Reverejack

Help me identify these feathers?

25 posts in this topic

I gathered the feathers in the fields and roadsides of louisiana. My guess is they are either black vulture or turkey vulture: Canada goose feathers Thats them grouped together, about 30 CM each. Heres a picture of the ventral view if it helps : Canada goose secondary feather

I think it's a goose feather? I don't if vulture feathers are that long,

I think it's a goose feather? I don't if vulture feathers are that long,

Certainly not goose. I own several goose feathers, and these look nothing like them. And yes, vulture feathers are around the size of my feathers, which gives me the idea it may be vulture, and, of course, many of the other features.

Patience is a virtue, feathers are hard!

True. Also, thanks for the attempt to confirm identification.

OK, you have a few dark, nondescript, damaged feathers. I don't think you're going to get more of an ID than "could be vulture feathers".

OK, you have a few dark, nondescript, damaged feathers. I don't think you're going to get more of an ID than "could be vulture feathers".

Heres a brief decription: On the ventral of the feathers, there is a silver shimmering. There about 30 CM long. They were gatheres near open fields, usually near dead animals such as owls, snakes, racoons, and opossums. There were black vultures flying in the area near the time i found them, but then again, i always see black vultures.

Thanks for the link, my feathers look similar to the black vulture feather on that website, but still need someone to confirm it :l

Let me help with this. I will confirm Black Vulture feathers. Look at my shot of this guy and notice how ragged the feathers are.

BlackVulture_1511.jpg

Let me help with this. I will confirm Black Vulture feathers. Look at my shot of this guy and notice how ragged the feathers are.

BlackVulture_1511.jpg

Thanks!

Technically, it's illegal to possess ANY part (including feathers) of any raptor in the U.S. They are federally protected. Just sayin.

1 person likes this